UI dev tools/tech

Hello,

  I am newbie to .NET. I would like to know is there any tools or technologies in .NET world that will help me to develop a thin client (browser based web application) rapidly. I am looking something like drag n drop for UI components or some tags where I no need to worry about developing these components. I want to just use these tags or drag n drop them and concentrate on my business logic of getting data.  Thanks for your help.

--Vijay

0
vvijay12

Have you checked out Visual Studio? It is an IDE that helps you drag n drop controls on your page?

Regards

Bilal Hadiar, MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Telerik MVP
0
haidar_bilal
10/24/2006 9:46:32 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have Visual Studio team edition for developers. I will check it out. I assume from your reply that VS will help me to develop web-based applications by drag n drop components. Thanks once again.
0
vvijay12
10/24/2006 11:56:30 AM

Absolutely.  That's one of the main reasons it became so popular in the first place.

The 2005 edition makes it even easier for you to write apps with almost no code-behind work (though usually the more advanced applications require *some* coding in VB/C#).

Peter Brunone
MS MVP, ASP.NET
Founder, EasyListBox.com
Do the impossible, and go home early.
0
PeterBrunone
10/24/2006 2:51:57 PM

And if you are looking to put your hands in HTML and CSS and design your pages, check out: MS Expression Web Designer

Hope this helps,

Regards

Bilal Hadiar, MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Telerik MVP
0
haidar_bilal
10/24/2006 5:39:05 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. I looked at MS Visual Web Developer Express 2005. Its awesome. I really love it. I am planning to play around it more. Btw, may be it is a stupid question, but I would like to ask. If I develop the app using MS Visual tools like Web Developer, I believe it will create files like .aspx if so just wondering will the application work on non-windows platform? Also in general if I use .NET Framework, can I run the application in non-windows platform? Thanks.

I really appreciate your help guys.

--Vijay

0
vvijay12
10/24/2006 8:26:24 PM

Well, talking about Microsoft, you are talking about .NET, .NET running on Windows machines! So once you work with Visual Studio and Expression Developer, you are working for limited environment!!

I read once about Mono that runs over UNIX and makes ASPX pages available on other environments, other than Windows!

Hope this helps,

Regards

Bilal Hadiar, MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Telerik MVP
0
haidar_bilal

I have a question which is, when building a .net project, we are able to use server side code and client side code(java script). How do they communicate? Thanks Client Side coding works with the WebBrowser. So when ever you write client side code you have to keep browser compatability in your mind and you have to code. Server Side code works with Web Server (IIS) and it's ASPNET ISAPI's. The won't directly communicate with each other. But using AJAX you can all server side code from Client Side! Example article on Ajax@ http://www.devarticles.com/index2.php?option=content&task=...

Newbie Dev: Passing/Saving variables client side to access server side.
Hello, As you might have guessed by the title of the thread I am really new to this, this is my first proper development project and my first go at ASP.NET... so as you can imagine I could do with some help! :S As the title suggests I am having trouble thinking of a way to access variables, when it comes to seperate client and server side processing. I am accessing my database through a webservice so dont want to re-fresh every time the user performs an action so I have a grid that I am adding and subtracting from on the client side using JScript what I would like to do is stor...

.NET for client side?
Is this the idea of "Atlas" but using JavaScript rather than another technology? Atlas's goal is to abstract various browser implementations of DOM API and to ease out the developer's job to write rich client applications. Atlas hence makes use of the existing all-browser supported JavaScript to achieve this. Thanks for your reply.Let me convey my idea differently: I would like to author client side code using a class system. I recognise that Atlas is a technology for producing JS code, much in the same way that ASP.NET produces HTML for the browser.Will Atlas be m...

List of client side function of extenders and controls for client side

Side by Side Execution of .net v1.1 and .net v2.0
Hi i am new bie to asp.net 2.0.Till date i have been developing projects using VS.Net 1.1 and now i hv decided to upgrade to new version 2.0.Now i want to run and develop my projects using any of the versions as desired.My question is that can i install vs 2.0 without updating the previous version and will i be able to develop and run my applications in any of the versions as desired.i have been known that we can run these versions side by side(i.e. one application can use 1.1 and other 2.0),but can we do side by side development as well(i.e. one application can use 1.1...

.Net Framework needed on the client side?
Hi, Do I need to install the .Net Framework to be able to view .aspx files or just need a browser supporting .aspx files? Thanks HI No, u dont need to install the .net framework the browser is enough. Regards. Hi, ASP.NET webforms and controls that you use emit HTML. This is a markup language that a browser understands. So no, a browser is the only thing needed on the client when viewing webapplications built with ASP.NET. Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins for web developers.Workaround for non working Mark as answer buttons....

Side by Side Execution of .net v1.1 and .net v2.0 (continued)
Hi, Dave wrote a previous post that said: "If you are referring to web applications - each Virtual server must specify the framework to run under.  Both can run side-by-side.. but not under the same virtual server (application pool)" That looks fine, but I wonder: Is it just as easy as going to Administrative Tools --> IIS --> Select the virtual directory --> go to the property's ASP.NET tab and then selecting the ASP.NET version? Is there some important information that I need to know before going into this? Are there going to be ANY issues I should be aware of? T...

Do i need a .Net framework on the client side?
Hello all, Can anyone tell me if there is a .Net framework needed on the client side when want to run an ASP .Net web application? Or will it generate plain html that only requires an Internet browser? Or is it dependent on the version of ASP.Net (1.0, 1.1, 2.0?)   Thanks!   AlbertWeeda     There is no need for the .NET framework to be on the client computer to access your web applications.ASP.NET Websites renders into HTML so all your client needs is a HTML web browser.  you don't need it. and it generates plain html that only requires an Intern...

Oracle Client-Side Tools Necessary?
We need to access a table from an Oracle server.  A DBA is telling us he have to install the client-side tools to access this table (from SQL or .NET program).  He also will not tell us the name of the server (ip address).  Is there a way to access this table without installing anything or knowing the server name?  FYI....Security isn't a problem.Thanks,Trey You should at least know the OBDC connecting string details and also have the oracle ODBC driver installed on your machine.Regards, Narayana Rao Surapaneni Architect | Author | MCSD for .NET | MCSD | SCJP ...

.Net varible into client side JavaScript
I'm need to get a variable from my web app and place its value in a JavaScript. I tried doing this with a Label but I get the HTML included. I don't think I can use the <%# %> from classic ASP? Anyone have any ideas on how they would approach this problem? tbone_stl wrote:Anyone have any ideas on how they would approach this problem? Hi, and welcome to the ASP.NET forums. It's possible to pass a variable to a javascript function. I created a small coding snippet: <%@ Page Language="C#" %>   <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http...

how about a spyware tools for client side action?
Sorry for my previous question. What I mean is on the client side action. Is there any methods to tracy the action? Lydia wrote: > Sorry for my previous question. What I mean is > on the client side action. Is there any methods to > tracy the action? Well, I don't see how that relates to the topic of this newsgroup but if you use Netscape 7 or Mozilla then there is an extension called live HTTP headers that you can install to monitor the HTTP traffic the browser has: http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/ -- Martin Honnen http://JavaScript.FAQTs...

Web resources about - UI dev tools/tech - asp.net.client-side

Pro Tools Keyboard Shortcuts
Every shortcut you ever wanted. ∞ Read this on The Loop

Pro Tools PC
A PC built with the specific purpose of running Pro Tools. I can’t help thinking the new Mac Pro will eat this thing for lunch.

Hoe (tool) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A hoe is an ancient and versatile agricultural tool used to move small amounts of soil. Common goals include weed control by agitating the surface ...

50 Million Small Businesses Using Facebook Pages; New Communications Tools Launched
... announced Tuesday that more than 50 million small businesses are using pages , and the social network rolled out some new communications tools ...

Microsoft open sources Live Writer, beloved but abandoned blogging tool
... "Microsoft open sources something" story. At the weekend it was the Chakra JavaScript engine . This time, it's Live Writer, the blogging tool ...

Google adds data loss prevention tool to Gmail
Google is striving to improve the security protection for its business product Google for Work by introducing data loss prevention for its popular ...

5 Great Tools for Curating Blog Content
... to look like the bottom of your purse: a place that your hand scrapes and quickly retracts from as it feels the mess. Luckily, a lot of tools ...

Bank of Canada Announces Tools Including -0.5 Interest Rates; Loonie Sinks to 2004 Low; Right Tool at ...
... crashed vs. the US dollar. US Dollar vs. Canadian Dollar Monthly The USD vs. the Loonie is back to a high last seen in May of 2004. Tools ...

6 SEO Audit Tools for Dominating Google Results
Business 2 Community 6 SEO Audit Tools for Dominating Google Results Business 2 Community Matt Cutts made a terrific video explaining this ...

A powerful tool that lets scientists edit our DNA was discovered mostly by accident
You may have seen the headlines about CRISPR/Cas9, a powerful genetic technique that lets scientists "edit" genes. It's been hailed as a miracle ...