Setting the value of server side variable in javascript and wants to use that server side variable on page load.

Hi,

I am trying to set the value of a server side variable in javascript and wants to use that variable on page load.

Here is my sample code.

--------------------------

private string testVal = null;

private void registerScript(){

if (!this.Page.ClientScript.IsClientScriptBlockRegistered("RequestHeaderValidation"))

{

StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder("" + Environment.NewLine);

sb.Append(" var version = '2.0'; " + Environment.NewLine);

sb.Append(" var isInstalled = Silverlight.isInstalled(version);" + Environment.NewLine);

sb.Append(" if (isInstalled)" + Environment.NewLine);

sb.Append(" {" + Environment.NewLine);

sb.Append(" '" + testVal + "' = 'Y'; " + Environment.NewLine); sb.Append(" }" + Environment.NewLine);

//sb.Append(" " + this.ClientScript.GetPostBackEventReference(this, string.Empty) + Environment.NewLine);

this.Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(this.GetType(), "RequestHeaderValidation", sb.ToString(), true);

}

}

{

registerScript();

 base.OnInit(e);

}

{

// Want to use the value of the variable (testval) here

Response.write(testval);

// It should return me 'Y'

 base.OnLoad(e);

}

testVal is a page level variable. Setting the value of the testval in register script and wants to use that value in pageload.

I am getting null value. How can I get the value of that variable that is being set on registerscript method.

Please help.

Thanks!!

0
rpat03

Looks like the same question answered here: http://forums.asp.net/t/1308553.aspx

NC...

0
NC01
8/21/2008 6:57:26 PM

Thanks!!!

0
rpat03
8/21/2008 9:12:41 PM

No problem. Glad I could help. BTW, that is about the 5th request this week for that same problem.

NC...

0
NC01

Updateting Server side variable through javascript or how can i user Javascript variable in server side C# ?
 Hi I am new for web development. I wasted fewdays but I am not able to figureout following problem.1. I have Javascript variable I want to use in Server side C# is it possible ?2. If above is not possible if i declare variable in C#  and is it possible to update through Javascript ?As I am new for web development Please give me sample code for example it will be very easy for me to understand. If  both way possible please explain me both way. Thanks in anticipationHarshad   Yes it is possible to get the value of your javascript variable in C#. here's how:1. In...

server side variables in client side javascript
I want to use an ASP.net variable in client side javascript.In regular asp I used hidden fields.what is the best way to do this in ASP.NET ?thx,Intersee my blog at www.Interdevelopments.com and check the future of open mobile widget solutions at www.glowe.org By and large, I personally still use Hidden fields to store information, that either my Javascript function or my code-behind use.  I barely use the RegisterScriptBlock method(s) and that is only for situations where I want to be really dynamic with the client side functionality.  95% of the time, I can still use a...

Just curious whether anyone has seen a better way to implement the following. It doesn't seem like the best way! What I'm doing is passing in an array of values to the client via server side code. The reason for this is because I'd like the server to do most of the crunch work and then pass the final results to the client. I use the 'onload' event of an image. code behind: imgLoader.Attributes.Add("onload", "Init('Tag1;Tag2;Tag3')") client-side. The page also contains an image called 'imgLoader'. var Entities = new Array(); function Init(s) ...

passing client side variable value to server side
 i have a grid and  by click on the rows, the onrowclick event is fired on client side. I want to pass the row index to the server side. As there are not sessions variables in javascript so i am stuck to pass the row to the server side.. I have made a texbox and set its valueto the index in the onrowclick event but when refresh calls, the text box became empty as the value set is on client side, i want page to persistthe value,  How can i do that? Tel me some way passing the row index to the server side?? Hi, You can call GridView_SelectedIndexChanging event on row click ev...

Using server side global variable on client side
I have a function which retrieves certain values from ldap server. I have written server side code to get the data. Now I want to show the values on a html form. I tried to create client side variable within server side script and use it but when I start it says Undefined variable as_firstname, if I add <SCRIPT> as_firstname="test" </SCRIPT> after <!--SCRIPT> and --> tag before </HEAD> it displays the value. Can someone say what is wrong in this? My Code is <HTML> <HEAD> <!--SCRIPT import JavaWrapper.ssc; fun...

Client side code to pass values to server side variable?
Hi there, I have ListBox_SelectedTextChanged() method that creates another list box in the runtime as follows: // Get Action Level List lbxActionLevel = new ListBox();lbxActionLevel.ID = "ddlA" + i.ToString(); lbxActionLevel.Width = 100; lbxActionLevel.Rows = 2;SqlDataReader dr = new BusinessLogicLayer().bllGetActionLevels(); lbxActionLevel.Items.Clear();while (dr.Read()) {ListItem lAction = new ListItem(); lAction.Text = dr.GetString(1).Trim();lAction.Value = Convert.ToString(dr.GetInt32(0)); lbxActionLevel.Items.Add(lAction); lbxActionLevel.SelectedIndex = 0; } I ...

Getting hidden variable value from server side in client side
hi,        I am struck in problem. I have a hidden field in my form and i am setting some value in that.         Now i wnt to use this value from client side but i m not able to retrieve it. All i am getting there is an object.         I feel the hidden field is not able to hold that value.         <input type="hidden" id="hdnVar" runat="server" />         in code behind      ...

Issue obtaining values in server-side from dropdownlist when updating value using client-side script in master page
HiI got a page in a contentplaceholder of a master page. There is two pulldowns. I populate the first one using server side coding and then use client-side javascript. So far so good. The issue is that upon a postback I try to collect the select value of the second pulldown and there is no data in the pulldown and no selected item. I tried using control.selectedvalue (nothing) or searching the form controls Stringvariable = oForm.FindControl("Control")Thing is I've done this before in 1.1 outside of a master page and it works.Thanks in ad...

textbox value set on client side, is not visible on server side or, on the source of the page.
hi, I have a textbox on my webform. the first time I load my page I fill this textbox with  "name" on the server side. once the page is loaded I set the value of the textbox to "thisIsme" with client side code. I even see a different text in the texbox. client side:document.all('txtnameInput').value =  'thisIsme'; server side:Me.txtnaam.Text 'is stil "name" and not "thisIsme" Why is this happening? on the webpage I see the text "thisIsme", but when I look at the source of the webpage I still see the old value in it. it's very odd... I am NOT setting the value back to "name...

How can I set client side values as server side values?
Hi, Can anyone tell me how I can get client side values such as document.referrer, navigator.appName etc... into server side scripts? There are some client side values I'd like to set as session vars and insert into the db? How do I go about this? Thanks for any pointers Davlon PS (I'm using powersite 7.1.0.300) Pass them as page parameters, e.g., http://myserver/myurl?document.referrer=whatever&navigator.appName=yadayada Then, in your server-side script, just loop through the document.value array and get these values. -- pbm_hopethishelps, Roy Kie...

Getting my client-side variable over to server-side
Ok so I have looked at a few posts on this subject and I can't quite figure out how to apply the idea to what I am doing here. I am using javascript to take amounts from 7 different textboxes and add them up on the fly, dropping the total in the 8th textbox. After they fill in that information they click button (postback) to continue throughout the form... what I need is for the "textboxTotalAmt" to move from client-side to server-side.  So I can access that total amount later in the form. Here is the Javascript piece... <script type="text/java...

how to transfer client-side variable to server-side
hi all, i need just a small hint on how to go on... i am adding attributes to a rows in a gridview when data is bound e.Row.Attributes.Add("onClick", "MySelectedRow.text = '" + e.Row.DataItemIndex.ToString() + "';location.href='admin_contact.aspx'") this allows me to store the selected row in a hidden field (MySelectedRow). after the page is being resubmitted it resets the value of the hidden field to null. i need to have the value on the server-side. i prefer not to do the querystring unless you know how to clear the querystring i...

Server side Variable in client side script
Hello, I want to access the variable defined in the server side script from the client side. Can anyone help out with an example ??? TIA, Rakesh Babaria I think what you do is write is as a java script variable, so something like this: <!--SCRIPT var ls_serverVar ls_serverVar = "whatever"; document.writeln("<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>"); document.writeln("var xyz = " + ls_serverVar); document.writeln("</SCRIPT>"); --> Then in your client script, you'll be able to get XYZ. ...

Passing variable between client side and server side
For example,how do I pass the return value of the confirm("whatever") to the server side? Or the opposite way.  I want to use a cookie to do is. Can some one give me hint.  Much appreciate your help.   Chen  Please "Mark as an Answer" if you think my post had helped you!Thanks. you can use ajax,javascript and cookies also.  Got what you needed. Please mark as answer. In the aspx file: <input type="hidden" id="confirmAnswer" name="confirmAnswer" runat="server"> That adds this to the...

Web resources about - Setting the value of server side variable in javascript and wants to use that server side variable on page load. - asp.net.client-side

Facebook Open-Sources JavaScript Static-Type Checker Flow
The latest software to be open-sourced by Facebook is Flow , a static-type checker for JavaScript . (more…) New Career Opportunities Daily: ...

Quickstart: Facebook SDK for JavaScript
This quickstart will show you how to setup the SDK, load social plugins, trigger a dialog, and get it to make some basic Graph API calls.

Facebook App Devs Get Javascript
It has been an oft-lamented fact of the Facebook Platform thus far in its life that, in order to use all but the most simple of Javascript functionality–the ...