repeater with textboxes. how to read the textbox values on client side

Hi

I have a data bounded repeater with text boxes attached.

How can I read the values of the textboxes using javascript??

Could not find a proper link..

Appreciate any solution , thanks

0
Jayran

The repeater will add a prefix to each textboxes ID to ensure uniqueness.  The following function will loop through all textboxes of the repeater, and if the ID of the given textbox contains the string specified, the it will consider it a match and you can access it's value property easily.  Here is the function:

    function textboxFinder() {
        var repeater = document.getElementById('Repeater1');
        var inputs = repeater.getElementsByTagName('input')
        var txtId = 'txtName' //ID of textbox in repeater template

        for(var i = 0; i < inputs.length; i++) {
            if(inputs[i].type == 'text') {
                if(inputs[i].id.indexOf(txtId) != -1) {
                    //Matching textbox, lets show its value
                    alert(inputs[i].value);
                }
            }
        }
    }

I am sure you will have to modify this a little bit to perfectly suit your needs, but this should give you a great place to start.

This function has a slight flaw.  If you have similiarly named textboxes in your repeater (like txtName and txtNameOfDog, for example), and you use this function to search for all "txtName" textboxes, it will consider the txtNameOfDog textboxes as a match.  As long as you have decent naming conventions you should not have to worry.

Hope this helps!  Don't forget to mark the most helpful post(s) as Answer for the sake of future readers.  Thanks!

Josh Stodola ← Come check out my blog!
0
JoshStodola
5/9/2007 5:21:11 PM

Thanks a lot. Got the idea.

0
Jayran

pass client textbox value to a server side textbox
HiDoes anyone know how in javascript to pass a client side textbox value to a server side textbox?Thanks in advance.Graham. An asp textbox is a resular textbox. so you do it the same way.document.formName.elementName.value = document.formName.elementName2.value;One thing to note is that the asp textbox is going to have a slightly different name then what you named it.EricPascarello.com | Twitter epascarello | LinkedIn...

How to Encrypt the value of textbox in client side and Decrypt it in server side?
How to Encrypt the value of textbox in client side and Decrypt it in server side? THere is no use in decrypting ur content @ client side since a normal user can view the decrytion logic when he takes 'view source' option 'SSL' technology is used in this situations. SreejithSreejithhttp://tips4dotnet.blogspot.com/ Sreejith: he did not ask to decrypt it on client-side! Take a loot at this article on the Cryptography application block: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms954823Josh Stodola ← Come check out my blog! Another good article: http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/VB.Net...

textbox value set on client side, is not visible on server side or, on the source of the page.
hi, I have a textbox on my webform. the first time I load my page I fill this textbox with  "name" on the server side. once the page is loaded I set the value of the textbox to "thisIsme" with client side code. I even see a different text in the texbox. client side:document.all('txtnameInput').value =  'thisIsme'; server side:Me.txtnaam.Text 'is stil "name" and not "thisIsme" Why is this happening? on the webpage I see the text "thisIsme", but when I look at the source of the webpage I still see the old value in it. it's very odd... I am NOT setting the value back to "name...

Data format in TextBox in both Server side and Client side?
HI,      I have a GridView which shows data in TextBox.      I was wondering if there is a way to do data format (Currency) like $12,203.00. I need it working in server side (for existing data) and client side (for new data or changed data). What I mean about client side is data automatically formatted after data is keyed in.     Thanks for your help. Hi you can use MaskEdit in AjaxControlToolkit please check here http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/MaskedEdit/MaskedEdit.aspx this is a cool control. Hope it...

Checking textbox values on the client side.
Hi, I have a datagrid dg. The dg has a textbox and a button to delete the record. The button has the primary key number from my table. I am able to reference this number through its id. Also, below the datagrid dg, there is a save button. The save button saves the infomation to my table. My problem is before the user clicks the save button, or before program actually updates, I need to check and see if any of the textboxes has "override" or "pending" in it. Because if user changes any textbox in my dg to either "override" or "pending", then a...

Get textbox value in client side
My problem is that in my ascx file i have a textbox & a input buttom with a javascript function that will validate the textbox: .... <script lang="javascript"> function Test() { if (document.all.txt1.value == "") { alert(); return; } } </script> .... <asp:textbox id="txt1" runat="Server"></textbox> <input type=button id="cmd1" onclick="javascript:Test();" value="Add"> .... But the function don't work, because the textbox control isn't...

How to read cookies value on client side from server side code?
 I read an article which explains on how to read the client side cookies from C# code by doing something like://Grab the cookie 9: HttpCookie cookie = Request.Cookies[strCookieName];I am very confused here. Server side code in on the server side, so how can a server side code read the cookies on the client machine?I thought that only a client side script like Java Script  can read the client side cookies.Kindly explain...please.thanks.   Each time you request a page on a domain, the browser looks for a cookie for that domain on the client machine if it exists then it ...

passing data to a server side textbox from client side script
Qu: passing data to a server side textbox from client side java script.Does anyone know how to do this?Thanks,Graham. Remember that when you view an aspx page in your browser, you are viewing straight html code (view the source).  Thus, access the textbox as you would a normal <input type="text> tag.HTH, rchern.Churned Ajax ToolkitPlease choose "Mark as Answer" for the posts that lead you to a solution....

How can I set client side values as server side values?
Hi, Can anyone tell me how I can get client side values such as document.referrer, navigator.appName etc... into server side scripts? There are some client side values I'd like to set as session vars and insert into the db? How do I go about this? Thanks for any pointers Davlon PS (I'm using powersite 7.1.0.300) Pass them as page parameters, e.g., http://myserver/myurl?document.referrer=whatever&navigator.appName=yadayada Then, in your server-side script, just loop through the document.value array and get these values. -- pbm_hopethishelps, Roy Kie...

Client Side values to Server Side
What is the best way to transfer Client Side values to the Server side? For example I have a variable "var1" in javascript. var1 = "sample"; How can I acquire this value in the server side?  What is the best approach for this?  Barry to send the value to the server during a postback, you need to place the value in an input control.  You could consider using a hidden textbox for that purpose.Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a site code sample in a different language? Try converting it with: http://converter.telerik.com/ In the JavaScrip...

Client-side values to server-side ?
Hi! My previous query is attached below: I have implemented the below mentioned implementation . 'listbox1' on 'webform1' shows all the values from 'webform2'. I have implemented it using javascript. I would like to know that to implement validation on 'webform1', I would require the values of 'listbox1' ,which are on the client-side , to move to the server-side . I think sending a querystring will be fine but how to implement it using javascript and code-behind(C#)? Your suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks and regards, ap.       My previous query: " I am stuck wi...

Retrieving the text and value of a treeview node on client side and put it into a textbox of a diffrent frame
Some time ago I resolved this problem with the treeview that Mircrosoft offered for the framework 1.1 (Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls). Here is the discussion about it : http://forums.asp.net/954362/ShowPost.aspx But now I am using the new framework (2.0) and this solution does not work anymore. Here is what I want : The user should click on a node and some information (name and valueof the node) should be attributed to a textbox in a diffrent frame. So what I did is that I define all the nodes of my treeview  like this : TreeNode.SelectAction = TreeNodeSelectAction.Non...

How to pass the client side values to server side?
 hello to All,Actually i wanna implement a code like... a string in HTML textbox retrieve in server side control....suppose i hv a HTML control <input type="text" id="txtHTML"/>, and dis control  txtHTML.text="abc".now i want to retrieve dis client side string "abc" in d server side textbox named "txtASP"...which hs a property runat="server"so please give me an idea how to pass values from client side to server side.... hope u understand a problem... sam.  You could do this <input type="text"...

How to pass values from client side to server side
Hi, Is there a way to transfer variable from a client loop to a server loop. For example: var clitest = 'test'; Now I would like to get test variable from javascript into a server string variable <% sertest = ?? %> I understand that this can be done by storing a variable into a hidden control for example and than access it using server side, but when I have to transfer an array for example it get's a little more complicated. I was wondering is there more efficient approach? You can't transfer arrays, only strings. To workaround this problem pass delimited stri...

How to validate textbox on client side?
I have a function in JavaScript that will check to see if the textbox is empty or contain spaces. If it is then popup an alert box. In this case I have two textboxes so far. Both uses the same function with textbox1.Attributes.Add("onBlur"...and so on added in the Page Load method. Below is the full function code. function textRequired(field, textMessage) { var invalid = " "; if(field.value == "" || field.value.indexOf(invalid) > -1) { alert(textMessage); tempfield = field; //set the focus back to the textbox if the user did not enter a name setTimeout("tempfield.focus();",0); r...

Textbox validation in client side!
My problem is that in my ascx file i have a textbox & a input buttom with a javascript function that will validate the textbox: .... <script lang="javascript"> function Test() { if (document.all.txt1.value == "") { alert(); return; } } </script> .... <asp:textbox id="txt1" runat="Server"></textbox> <input type=button id="cmd1" onclick="javascript:Test();" value="Add"> .... But the function don't work, because the textbox control isn't r...

Clearing a textbox client-side
Folks, bear with me as this is a very basic question but I can't seem to find a concise answer anywhere. I have an ASP .NET web form with a textbox and a button on it. All I want to do is clear the contents of the textbox when the button is clicked, without calling the code-behind. In other words, I want to have the button click clear the contents of the textbox entirely on the client side. Thanks for your patience... Let's say your textbox id is: TextBox1 <script language='javascript'> function Clear() { window.getElementById("TextBox1"...

List of client side function of extenders and controls for client side

TextBox with client-side javascript
I'm using an ASP.net "<asp:TextBox" control, which renders as the standard html "<input type=text" control. The HTML control has an onClick event for entering javascript.  I want to use this client-side event.  However the ASP.net control "<asp:TextBox" doesn't seem to have an onClick event.  The "onXXX" events it does have seem to be server side anyway. How can I specify custom javascript for the onclick event of an "<asp:TextBox" control? Why didn`t you try it? "" In ASP.NET 2.0 the event is called "OnClientScript". You won`t know until you`ll try it!Hap...

client side textbox validation
Hi Guys,I have a form where the user can enter the details of their friends .i.e name, add, email. - they can enter up to three of their friends' details on that form.I want the validation only to kick in if they have half entered one of their friends i.e if they have entered the firstname, then surname, add and email must also be completed. if they are all blank then the validation does not kick in.I currently have a fully working server side validation check.... Sub FnfName(ByVal source As Object, ByVal args As ServerValidateEventArgs)        If ...

Issue obtaining values in server-side from dropdownlist when updating value using client-side script in master page
HiI got a page in a contentplaceholder of a master page. There is two pulldowns. I populate the first one using server side coding and then use client-side javascript. So far so good. The issue is that upon a postback I try to collect the select value of the second pulldown and there is no data in the pulldown and no selected item. I tried using control.selectedvalue (nothing) or searching the form controls Stringvariable = oForm.FindControl("Control")Thing is I've done this before in 1.1 outside of a master page and it works.Thanks in ad...

reading data at client side which is generated on server side
Hello, I am developing an application in which MS word templates will be on client side. The data will be read from the database and sent to client side. This data has to be entered in the word documents which will generated from the template. questions 1) In what format shud I send the data to client side? 2) how the client side script will read the data and place it in the word document at a proper place? Thanx AFAIK, if you make a form in word, you should be able to access all input places by program. Well, the problem could be, you can do this on the server,...

how to pass values from client side to server side #2
Hi Guys....               This is Aani....I'm using ASP.NET in C# language.i have created one webpage for get input from user(from java script inputbox).i want that entered data in server side operations.how can i pass that value from client side server side.i need proper code in C# language.reply me soon... Thanks is Advanced... Regards....Aani plz use hidden field.ur assing values to text boxes through java script. before post back call a java scipt function to assign value to hodden fieed. even u can add these ...

Web resources about - repeater with textboxes. how to read the textbox values on client side - asp.net.client-side

Notes Plus on the App Store on iTunes
Get Notes Plus on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Training - Algodoo
Navigation Home For Fun Algodoo Play Algodoo Physics Scenes Demo Buy For Education Algodoo for Education Lessons User stories Solutions Demo ...

Automated Test Design
... tests along with doing ET. Here's my take on a UI test for Alan's app: Open the page Check that text "Total" exists. Check that the 6 textboxes ...

Quick Answers - CodeProject

Cyprus By Bus Route Planner - Find your bus journey in Cyprus
Cyprus By Bus route planner for finding the best possible bus route between two bus stops in Cyprus. Based on origin bus stop, destination bus ...

Issues - gwen - GUI system aimed at games - Google Project Hosting
My favorites ▼ - Sign in gwen GUI system aimed at games Project Home Downloads Wiki Issues Source New issue Search Search within: All issues ...

ASP.NET Web Forms DynamicData FieldTemplates for DbGeography Spatial Types
... Those templates are simple. Here's the Edit example. You might say, hang on, this is just a text box! I thought we weren't using TextBoxes? ...

uCan Post WordPress Plugin Demo - Cartpauj & iComNow
This is a demo for the uCan Post WordPress plugin by cartpauj. This plugin lets users create posts and site content without having to access ...

Jennifer Semtner [ Web Designer / Developer ] » CSS
If you're using Grails and the Grails UI plugin's autocomplete feature, you may have noticed all of your textboxes have disappeared in Chrome ...