how do i get selectedValue of drop down list server side if i am populating it using client side javascript?

 Hi All.

I am populating a drop down list client side using: The drop down list is populated based on a selection of another drop down list.

ddlList.options[i] = new Option(1,2); as an example

The populating is done as i need it to. However, a button click event i am trying to get the selectedValue of the ddlList. However, it doesn't give me it. It only gives me the selectedValue of the drop down list on first rendering.

Any ideas on how i can get it?

0
aspd

 Could You paste some code? That would be helpful.

Thanks

S@ss (Shashi Shekhar Singh)

My Blog

Please mark a post as ANSWER if that post helped resolve your query.
0
sassyboy
6/27/2008 2:10:39 PM

I did it using hidden variable. But my question is, is it possible to write javascript server side and get a result from some code and assign it to a server side variable? is that possible?

0
aspd
6/27/2008 2:56:38 PM

aspd:

I did it using hidden variable. But my question is, is it possible to write javascript server side and get a result from some code and assign it to a server side variable? is that possible?

As far as I know, that is not possible, but you wouldn't really call me an expert... so.....

Thanks

S@ss (Shashi Shekhar Singh)

My Blog

Please mark a post as ANSWER if that post helped resolve your query.
0
sassyboy
6/28/2008 9:44:06 AM

You may want to check out the AjaxControlToolkit Cascading Dropdown Control.

http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/CascadingDropDown/CascadingDropDown.aspx

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/7/a/f7adf2b4-6554-4027-bac6-c853bc0a4f9d/HDI-AJAX-CascadingDropDown.wmv

Maybe it might solve the issue you are facing.

Thanks

S@ss (Shashi Shekhar Singh)

My Blog

Please mark a post as ANSWER if that post helped resolve your query.
0
sassyboy
6/28/2008 9:48:45 AM

Please try this out

Suppose  ddlList rendered as ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ddlList

Since you filled ddlList using javascript some alteration happened to  ddlList id in ViewState

DropDownList ddlListObj  =  new  Page.FindControl("ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder1$ddlList") as DropDownList;

 now you may get its value in server side using ddlListObj.SelectedValue

Hope this helps

Do to others, what you want others to do to you

0
JustinManjooran
6/29/2008 7:10:03 PM

You would need to repopulate the DDL server-side since the items are being changed client-side. Here is a complete example of filling a DDL client-side from another DDL and persisting the values server-side. You would need to do something very similar.

http://forums.asp.net/1264650/ShowThread.aspx#1264650

NC...

0
NC01

when to use client side / server side?
Hey, Please can someone tell me when do i need to use a client-side or a server-side? For instance, I have a dropdownlist and when the user choses one of the listitems then click on the button to submit changes,i need first to validate the new value chosen by the user by comparing it with the old value and then redirect the user to the next page if there are no errors or view an error on the other hand! so in this case what's more preferable to use a JScript (client side) or on the click event of the button pressed (server side)! waiting the reply................. thanx in adva...

How to write data to a file in client side using javascript or someother client side scripting language.
Hi, I would like to know how to write a data to a client side file using javascript or someother client side scripting language. The file type expected is ini file. txt file would also be appreciable. Thanks in advance.   If the site is a trusted and you are running IE then you could try http://www.w3schools.com/asp/asp_ref_filesystem.asp The Old Sewing FactoryThat twitter nonsense. You can write to the server, but not to the client's machine.  Being able to do so would be a huge security breach.When you ask a question, remember to click "mark as answered"...

server side variables in client side javascript
I want to use an ASP.net variable in client side javascript.In regular asp I used hidden fields.what is the best way to do this in ASP.NET ?thx,Intersee my blog at www.Interdevelopments.com and check the future of open mobile widget solutions at www.glowe.org By and large, I personally still use Hidden fields to store information, that either my Javascript function or my code-behind use.  I barely use the RegisterScriptBlock method(s) and that is only for situations where I want to be really dynamic with the client side functionality.  95% of the time, I can still use a...

Getting my client-side variable over to server-side
Ok so I have looked at a few posts on this subject and I can't quite figure out how to apply the idea to what I am doing here. I am using javascript to take amounts from 7 different textboxes and add them up on the fly, dropping the total in the 8th textbox. After they fill in that information they click button (postback) to continue throughout the form... what I need is for the "textboxTotalAmt" to move from client-side to server-side.  So I can access that total amount later in the form. Here is the Javascript piece... <script type="text/java...

Server-side or Client-side
In general, I'm wondering if there are any criteria to use when choosing between using a client side element or a server side element. For example, if I'm going to put an HTML table on a page, how do I decide whether or not to use a server control?  Should the server side always be chosen or if there is not explicit server side functionality required is it better to opt for a "normal" client side table? Obviously, if there is a need for server side control the question is answered, I'm looking more at more ambiguous situations. Thanks  This is from Micros...

Server Side or Client Side
Hi I'm a bit confused about this whole server side / client side thing. Are applets, embeded objects consider client side? If I have a form within my aspx page which connects to a database on the server side what is it considered? If I have some business logic written within a VB file when the client access the functions within that business logic (for example some kind of validation function) does the client browser actually downloads that VB file? Can someone suggest how to differentiate between client side and server side components within a asp.net based website?  Hi, i can&#...

What is Client Side and Server Side?
I am New of ASP.Net What we can and should do client side and Server Side? What uses? Please any one clear my doubt. Thanking YouEndendrum Priyamudan P m R Clientside is basically what a person can see and serverside is where actions get processed. that's kinda simply puyt but thats the deal, you code serverside, and the html and javascript it generates let's the users for example click a button, then serverside you have coded what should happen when a button gets clicked for example turn text red. Then the server sends a new page with red text to the client (clientside...

List of client side function of extenders and controls for client side

client-side and server-side?
hi, can someone tells me how diff is client side and server side are these two? When I tried to do validation ... I would use Javascript ... which has something like: document.forms[0] ... I think that's client side. My understanding on server side is the "form" ... like u will have <form action=".." method=post> ..... </form> ... so it will send to server ... am I on the right track? Are there any other type of server side examples? Hi, ASP.NET itself is server side. Every piece of code processed is done on a server. What comes out of this is sent ...

Client side and server side
We have a application, where we have some validation on the clientside using EnableClientSideValidation. If you don't have fullscreen you can't see some of the error-messages. What we want is to jump to the place on the page where the message is displayed. One problem is that the button is a serverbutton (runat="server"). How can we accomplish this on the clientside using the same button. I have tried to use "onClientClick" and a link something like this:   <A HREF=http://forums.asp.net/AddPost.aspx?ForumID=18#form>form<...

Call server side function from client side javascript
I have a javascript where I either need to call an onclick even of a server link button or I need to be able to call a server side function.   The only thing is I cant use AJAX.  Is there any way I can do this or am I spinning my wheels. Thanks!-------------Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue. I have a similar problem.  In my case, I would like to set a server-side session object from JavaScript.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.  Dan Sure, y...

get server side datetime but run at client side
How do I get the server side datetime eg( 4 Aug 2006  6:12 : 01(seconds) AM  ) which the time is something similiar to ticking clock, once it get the server side datetime, it will pass to the javascript. From javascript it will increment the second by one, it is just similiar to ticking clock, after 10 seconds it will synchronize to the server datetime which means it get the latest server side datetime.   Is there any guide ? thanks in advance!!!kiwi_cyh Hi, It seems you want to synchronize the time in client side display with the server. You can use asynchronous clie...

Web resources about - how do i get selectedValue of drop down list server side if i am populating it using client side javascript? - asp.net.client-side

User Anna Lear - Stack Overflow
current community chat blog Stack Overflow Meta Stack Overflow Stack Overflow Careers your communities Sign up or log in to customize your list. ...

Index - 2,000 Things You Should Know About WPF
Below is a list of all posts created so far for the 2,000 Things You Should Know About WPF blog. Total number of posts = 1,077 Animation #7 - ...

mark. Touch & Glow Shimmer Cream Cubes All Over Face Palette - Pearly Pink
Get a pearly glow thanks to these cubes: with a sweep of a brush, combine the shimmery shades of pink,gold, and bronze for a gorgeous-on-all-skin-tones ...

dotnet HighCharts inside UpdatePanel
Read my article about the HighCharts.net databind? A frequently question regards the possibility to get functioning a dotnet.HighCharts chart ...

Tech Off - Forums - Channel 9
Want to keep the conversation technical? This is the place. Hard hat required.