Getting the computer name of the client user

Is it possible to get the client's computer name?

ez
0
Ez416

Ez416:
Is it possible to get the client's computer name?

I dont think so.

I do not think a post/get request will send such information.

0
jimmy
12/7/2007 9:21:46 AM

It can be done using an ActiveX object, but the client computer's setting has to be set to a ridiculously low level.

When you ask a question, remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a reply which answers your question.

My latest ASP.NET AJAX blog entries.
0
DisturbedBuddha
12/7/2007 2:32:51 PM

Probably it is enough to use Request.UserHostName and Request.UserHostAddress (on server-side). no?

[MCPD: WEB]
0
Nail

How can i get the computer client computer name not the IP address
I have been trying to get the client computer name and ip address. For the IP address i can get it. For the computer name i a gain get the IP address. Is there some thing i have to do in order to get the computer name not the IP. My application runs on a server in the company's intranet. Below is my sample code. I also want to get the "timea" just in hour/minutes format. At the moment timea is bringing to much details(I dont if there seconds or millisecoinds, but just to much figures) Dim username As String = HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name Dim timea As String = DateTime.Now.TimeOf...

Get Client Computer Name
I'm attempting to retrieve the client computer name from my ASP.NET web application. I'm using System.Net.Dns.GetHostName(). This is returning the computer name of the web server. The application is being used an a Windows 2000 Active Directory Intranet. How do I get the name of the client computer, not the web server name? Thank you. Try either Request.ServerVariables["REMOTE_HOST"] for the client computername or Request.ServerVariables["REMOTE_ADDR"] for the client ip address Regards Fredr!k Close... Request.ServerVariables("remote_a...

How to get client user name?
Hi all,   I have a ASP.NET project deployed in company domain, I need to implement single-sign on in it, it means when client pc opens this web site, system will get client user name and sign in automatic, the users from client were authenticated in domain. Currently, I use following three ways to get client user name: HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.NameThread.CurrentPrincipal.Identity.NameRequest.ServerVariables["logon_user"] In IIS, if checked 'Anonymous Access', it will ignore the user information from client, and the three methdos above returned blank....

Client User Name from the client's compurer?
How can I get the client user name using Active Directory?   Its a little tricky, but here is an article that may help you: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/activedirquery.aspxPlease mark as "answer" if this helped you in anyway....

How do I get the name of the user logged in on the client
I'm working on an intranet app. I need to get the username on the client in order to display personal stuff. How do I do this?? David LeggDave Legg NOTE: The Intranet app is hosted on the same computer as that is the only computer. David LeggDave Legg Check the server variables connected to the request object. One of them (I think USERNAME or something - look it up) has the name of the logged on user. WHEN the IIS is configured in such a way that it actually retrieves the user's name.Thomas TomiczekPowerNodes ApS(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)---Building a Website? Try the PowerNodes CM...

Client Side Validation and getting user confirmation
I've been scratvhing my head on this matter for a while and haven't come up with a working solution.My page has the following structure MasterPage  TabContainer    TabPanel_1      UpdatePanel        Formview          htmlTable            11 rows each containing dropdownlist1, checkbox1, dropdownlist2, checkbox2        /Formview      /UpdatePanel ...

How to get browser's name client side?
Is there any object/method that will give me information on the browser, client side? For example, I need to detect IE browser. I am using:  function st_IsIE() { if(navigator.appName.indexOf("Microsoft Internet Explorer") != -1) { return true; } return false; }   Is there a better way?   Hi, Check this, one of the best script i found for doing this - http://www.quirksmode.org/js/detect.htmlWhen you ask a question, remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a reply which answers your question; this ensures the right forum...

How to get the Mobilink Client user names in Update scripts
Hi all, i want to know how to get the Mobilink client UserName in the following Upload event scripts Upload_Update Upload_Insert Upload_Delete Upload_New_Row_Insert Upload_Old_Row_Insert Resolve_Conflict i need this keep track of who are all the client users have uploaded the data to the tables and also in conflict management process. I know how to get the Mobilink username in Download event scripts, there it will be passed as parameter to the respective download script with timestamp. But don't know how to access in the above Upload scripts please guide me thank...

Getting Value from Client-side InputBox to .net variable
hi, im doing a login page for our timekeeping. Since there's no msgbox available on asp.net, im doing it dynamically via javascript. How do i Get the value frm a dynamically written javascript (such as inputbox) to a .net variable? here's the logic of my program, user logs in hits the button and sub-routine Login will be fired, if user is late -- call Check_Late Sub, this is whre the client-side script was built -- then after that i wanted to be able to get the value from an inputbox. '// if button login clicked Sub Login(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) .......

how to get the user selection in my client side scriping language?
In overall, i have a dropdownlist and 1 button. after the user has select one of the item from the dropdownlist and click the button, my button supposed to carry out the task according to the user selected item. but the problem arise, my button cant catch what the user has selected before!!! initially, my code is as below: <asp:DropDownList id=selection runat=server> <asp:ListItem>Browser</asp:ListItem> <asp:ListItem>Excel 97</asp:ListItem> </asp:DropDownList> <input type=image align=absmiddle src="./images/go5.gif" alt="...

List of client side function of extenders and controls for client side

How can i retrieve the logged in windows user name from the client computer
I have been trying to get the logged in windows user name from the client computer accesiing my application. Before i even continue, i dont if its possible but nevertheless this is what i have tried and iam getting an error. Iam intrested in logging this information in a database table If i comment out the line in bold(loggedin_windows_account), i  fi dont get any error i get the error message at the bottom of the ADO.NET code below. Protected Sub DetailsView1_ItemInserting(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DetailsViewInsertEventArgs) Dim myconnection...

Datasnap Server Side: How to resolve the client's user name
For security reasons I am prevented from sending username (and password, sometimes) from the client side to the server, in order to log in to a database. I am looking into ciphering the information at the clients and un-cipher at the server's, but before doing that, I must find out whether there is a better way to do it or maybe I am missing something. David Edited by: David Rosen on Jan 1, 2009 4:22 AM Edited by: David Rosen on Jan 1, 2009 4:49 AM > {quote:title=David Rosen wrote:}{quote} > For security reasons I am prevented from sending username (and password, sometim...

How to get to know user's selection rectangle on client-side?
When user select a section of text on a webpage, the javascript can get to know that by document.selection. But how can I get to know exactly where the selection is. I mean, the rectangle which contains the selected text, just like the highlighted background of the selected text. Is there a way I can get its coordinates informations? I checked out the related DOM properties and method but get nothing interesting. Can anybody gives a hint?Thanks in advance! If you track the mousedown and mouseup on document.body, you can use the coordinates provided from the event(varies by browser).&n...

Web resources about - Getting the computer name of the client user - asp.net.client-side

Computer Show

Students smart on phones but going backwards in computer literacy
They may appear permanently glued to their smart phones and tablets, but Australian students are less able to navigate basic computer tasks now ...

Texting isn't enough: Australian students' computer skills drop, new report shows
Nearly half of Australian students are performing below expected standards in computer literacy.

Intel’s 72-core processor is coming to desktop computers next year
... anything yet. PC World reports that Intel wants to put its so-called Knights Landing chip into a limited number of workstation desktop computers ...

More Wash. students are taking STEM exams — but computer science courses in short supply
Washington students are getting more involved in science, technology, engineering and math or “STEM,” according to data released this week, but ...

Japan chases title of world's fastest computer with new system
Taking a cue from China, Japan is developing a new supercomputer that could be among the world's fastest systems when released in 2020. The ...

Asustek Computers has sold 5 million smartphones in Indonesia
Asustek Computer launched ZenFone-series smartphones in the Indonesia market in 2014 and has cumulatively sold five million units, company CEO ...

Computers learn how to spot hidden facial expressions
Machines are good at spotting obvious emotions like smiles, but they're not so hot at detecting the extremely brief microexpressions that reveal ...