executing my own function @ server side for a client side event

hi all,

I have a client side dropdownlist control with onchange event. I am calling form1.submit() method in onchange event. is it possible to catch that event at server side ???

Thanks
Prashanth.J
0
prashanth_MNT

Not if you call form1.submit(). Try replacing that with <%= ClientScript.GetPostBackEventReference(DropDownList1, string.Empty) %>;

Then in the Page_Load handler server-side:

{
 if ( this.IsPostBack )
 {
  // Place any code that needs to be executed ONLY on a post-back here.
  string eventTarget = (this.Request["__EVENTTARGET"] == null) ? string.Empty : this.Request["__EVENTTARGET"];

  if ( eventTarget == DropDownList1.ClientID )
  {
   // It is from the dropdown...
  }
 }
}

Of course replace "DropDownList1" with the real DDL.

NC...

0
NC01
10/31/2008 2:29:08 PM
Thanks NC...
Thanks
Prashanth.J
0
prashanth_MNT

Stop execution of server side event from client side
Dear All  I have a text box and i wrote code on the server side event( On Text Change). So when i write something on the text box it goes to server and execute the server side code. Now i want to control this sever execution from client side. i mean i want to cancel this postback from client side under some conition. can anyone plz help me? Regards Sure if you let us know what you want to be done. here is an example <asp:textbox id="txtFile" OnTextChanged="javascript:RefreshPage();" Visible=true Width=500 Runat=server/> function RefreshPage() { &nb...

Calling a client side control event from a server side function
I would like to know how to raise an event on a client side only control from a server side function.   For example, I have Button1 whose onclick is handled at the server. The logic behind the function will do 1 of 2 things, change the text of a label to indicate a problem or navigate to a new page.  I cannot use redirect because i need the new page to appear inside 2 of 3 existing frames.  I can manage this using an anchor on the client.  All I need to do is automatically click the anchor after I post back from the Button1.click event.I tried the following line of c...

Is it possible to call client side function from server side code without initial client request?
Atlas is great. I'm using timer to periodically check database changes on server to populate client side controls with new data. Is it possible to do it without a lot of client requests to server which takes a huge useless network traffic? Server should call client side function on all connected clients when, for example, 'database updated' event occurs on server. Thanks. Hi~ Just for your interest, I think you could have a look at Comet, many web IM like Gmail's embeded Gtalk and meebo.com are built on this architecture你好! Just FYI o_O...

Help with client side events Vs. server side events
Hi, Can someone look as the following script and tell me why marking the check box doesn't generate a client side event eventhough there's: onclick="checkClick()"? marked.  Thanks in advance, Sivan <%@ Page Language="c#" %><HTML> <HEAD>  <meta name="vs_targetSchema" content="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5"> </HEAD> <body>  <SCRIPT language="c#" runat="Server">  void Page_Load(object s, EventArgs e) {  if (!Page.IsPostBack)  {   Label1.Text = Label...

Execute the client side and server side code
Hi, Hi, I have two drop down lists one ddl1, ddl2. when ddl1 index is changed I have to change the label before the ddl1 and contents of ddl2. 1) to change the label before ddl2, I am using the javascript like this:ddl1.Attributes.Add("onchange", "changeLabelText(this); return false;"); Javascript function<script language="javascript"> function changeLabelText(ddl) { var indx = ddl.selectedIndex; var lbl = document.getElementById('<%= lblSelect.ClientID %>'); if(indx == 0) lbl.innerHTML = "Select A:"; if(indx == 1)lbl.i...

Server-side execution vs. client-side
Hello, I am doing aspx web programming using vb asp.net in MS Visual Studio.  I am trying to make my program to when the user clicks on a button that my program launches another software package that we own (in this case the other software package is called Syteline).  The way that I am trying to accomplish this is via the CreateObject function route.  My program is running on the web server.  While I am sitting on the server that contains this Syteline application, I open up Internet Explorer and launch my web program.  When I click on the button, it gives me ...

Calling a client side function from the server side

How to call server side function on client side
Hi,   How to call server side function on client side? here i want to call change() function on textbox onchange event.   <script language="javascript">    function serverfunction()    {    }    </script><input id="Text1" onchange="javascript:serverfunction();"  type="text" /> code behind:  public void change()    {        Response.Write("hello");    } <script type=&quo...

How to call server side(C#) function from Client side(Javascript) function?
Hi i have used below functions,  function HandleOnClose() {// this function will be called after clicking browsers close button in Internet explorer if (event.clientY < 0) { event.returnValue = 'Are you sure you want to leave the page?'; } // if he clicks ok then i need to call one server side function in this instance.. else not. } <body onbeforeunload="HandleOnClose()" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0">other controls in page..</div>  How to achieve this? Thanks MS AJAX Extensions would be the option of choice here. Combined with webservices you can...

Client side to execute server side code
I am maintaining an ASP.NET C# application written by someone else.  I am essentially a newbie to web development especially client side stuff.  Based on reading these forums I understand that I can't directly call a server side method from the client side and I have to use post pack in some way (using a webservice is not an option here).  My confusion comes from the HTML setup being used.The page has three frames; a header, body and footer.  Each frame is filled by it's own ASPX page.  The footer contains buttons for navigating to another page and some of the b...

Client side/server side event race.
 Hi.  I've got a page that 1) Takes some text fields as input2) Does some math calculations on the input (server side via a "calculate" button click)3) Then opens a new window with some detailed information (client side, via a "view report" button click)The server needs to "calculate" before the user can click "view report" so I start with "view report" disabled.  I've got input validation on the "calculate" click, and at the end, I enable the "view report" button.  Everything is working well wi...

Client Side events and Server side binding
I want to filter a dataset, server side and bind it to a select control. Problem is my filtering must be done based on the text written by the user in a text input. To get this text i'm using client side keyboard events. I tried to use client side binding and it works fine, but the problem is my dataset has more than 10000 rows, and so the performance is awful. Only thing i can do i think is to rebind the select control to a filtered dataset, improving performance. This is my code at the moment: In the aspx: static HtmlSelect _control = null; [WebMethod(EnableSession = true)] publi...

running server side function from client side

Web resources about - executing my own function @ server side for a client side event - asp.net.client-side

Self-executing rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The self-executing rule , also known as " deem and pass ", is procedural measure used by the U.S. House of Representatives to approve legislation. ...

Saudi Arabia condemned for executing prominent Shiite cleric on terrorism charges
Saudi Arabia executes a prominent Shiite Muslim cleric alongside dozens of al-Qaeda members, stirring a rise in sectarian tensions across the ...

Islamic State video purports to show boy executing two Russian 'spies'
Executions of captives by the Sunni Muslim militants of the Islamic State have become grimly commonplace, but a newly surfaced video featured ...

Parramatta shooting: police leave empty-handed after executing search warrant at mosque
Police executed a search warrant at a Parramatta mosque overnight as part of their investigations into the fatal shooting on Friday of a civilian ...

US states having trouble executing their citizens
Despite a Supreme Court ruling allowing a controversial drug to be used for lethal injections in Oklahoma, death-penalty states are finding it ...

Islamic State video purports to show boy executing 'Russian spies'
Islamic State releases video that purports to show a young boy executing two men accused of working for Russian intelligence.

Boko Haram executing elderly in northeast Nigeria
Islamic extremists in northeast Nigeria are turning their guns on elderly people, killing more than 50 this week in a new tactic that has instilled ...

New iOS security exploit lets apps read users’ information by executing unsigned code
Security expert Charlie Miller has found a flaw in code signing on iOS devices (via Forbes) that allows developers to sneak malware apps onto ...

Law Journal Apologizes For Article About Executing Law Professors, Professor Resigns
Insane law review article prompts professor's resignation... but how did he get hired in the first place?