Client Side values to Server Side

What is the best way to transfer Client Side values to the Server side?

For example I have a variable "var1" in javascript.

var1 = "sample";

How can I acquire this value in the server side?  What is the best approach for this?

Barry
0
barrybritanico

to send the value to the server during a postback, you need to place the value in an input control.  You could consider using a hidden textbox for that purpose.

Mike Banavige
~~~~~~~~~~~~
mbanavige
10/28/2008 3:22:03 AM

In the JavaScript, assign your var1 value to any input controls such as Text Box or Hidden Field.

In your case, I suggest your to put a HiddenField control and assign var1 to the value property of the HiddenField. Make sure the HiddenFieled is a Server side control or you can make it as runat="server" , then you can use the Hidden Field value at the server side.

Marking a Reply as 'Answered', not only GAIN us some POINTS, but it also HELP others to find RIGHT solution.
0
ameenkpn
10/28/2008 3:25:54 AM

I was able to put the value in a hidden field but I am getting an error accessing the data in the server side(ascx).

I used. Request.Form["id"].ToString();

Is this correct? May have a sample code on how to access the hidden field in the ascx serverside?

Barry
0
barrybritanico
10/28/2008 11:13:41 AM

if you are using a non runat=server hidden input, then you would also give it a name attribute.  Then you can find its value by looking it up in the Request.Form collection using that name attribute.

If it's a runat=server control, you can reference it directly just like you would with a regular server side Textbox

Mike Banavige
~~~~~~~~~~~~
mbanavige
10/28/2008 9:51:28 PM

Thanks! I was able to access it directly.

Barry
0
barrybritanico

Client-side values to server-side ?
Hi! My previous query is attached below: I have implemented the below mentioned implementation . 'listbox1' on 'webform1' shows all the values from 'webform2'. I have implemented it using javascript. I would like to know that to implement validation on 'webform1', I would require the values of 'listbox1' ,which are on the client-side , to move to the server-side . I think sending a querystring will be fine but how to implement it using javascript and code-behind(C#)? Your suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks and regards, ap.       My previous query: " I am stuck wi...

How can I set client side values as server side values?
Hi, Can anyone tell me how I can get client side values such as document.referrer, navigator.appName etc... into server side scripts? There are some client side values I'd like to set as session vars and insert into the db? How do I go about this? Thanks for any pointers Davlon PS (I'm using powersite 7.1.0.300) Pass them as page parameters, e.g., http://myserver/myurl?document.referrer=whatever&navigator.appName=yadayada Then, in your server-side script, just loop through the document.value array and get these values. -- pbm_hopethishelps, Roy Kie...

How to pass values from client side to server side
Hi, Is there a way to transfer variable from a client loop to a server loop. For example: var clitest = 'test'; Now I would like to get test variable from javascript into a server string variable <% sertest = ?? %> I understand that this can be done by storing a variable into a hidden control for example and than access it using server side, but when I have to transfer an array for example it get's a little more complicated. I was wondering is there more efficient approach? You can't transfer arrays, only strings. To workaround this problem pass delimited stri...

How to pass the client side values to server side?
 hello to All,Actually i wanna implement a code like... a string in HTML textbox retrieve in server side control....suppose i hv a HTML control <input type="text" id="txtHTML"/>, and dis control  txtHTML.text="abc".now i want to retrieve dis client side string "abc" in d server side textbox named "txtASP"...which hs a property runat="server"so please give me an idea how to pass values from client side to server side.... hope u understand a problem... sam.  You could do this <input type="text"...

client-side and server-side?
hi, can someone tells me how diff is client side and server side are these two? When I tried to do validation ... I would use Javascript ... which has something like: document.forms[0] ... I think that's client side. My understanding on server side is the "form" ... like u will have <form action=".." method=post> ..... </form> ... so it will send to server ... am I on the right track? Are there any other type of server side examples? Hi, ASP.NET itself is server side. Every piece of code processed is done on a server. What comes out of this is sent ...

Client side and server side
We have a application, where we have some validation on the clientside using EnableClientSideValidation. If you don't have fullscreen you can't see some of the error-messages. What we want is to jump to the place on the page where the message is displayed. One problem is that the button is a serverbutton (runat="server"). How can we accomplish this on the clientside using the same button. I have tried to use "onClientClick" and a link something like this:   <A HREF=http://forums.asp.net/AddPost.aspx?ForumID=18#form>form<...

Server-side or Client-side
In general, I'm wondering if there are any criteria to use when choosing between using a client side element or a server side element. For example, if I'm going to put an HTML table on a page, how do I decide whether or not to use a server control?  Should the server side always be chosen or if there is not explicit server side functionality required is it better to opt for a "normal" client side table? Obviously, if there is a need for server side control the question is answered, I'm looking more at more ambiguous situations. Thanks  This is from Micros...

Server Side or Client Side
Hi I'm a bit confused about this whole server side / client side thing. Are applets, embeded objects consider client side? If I have a form within my aspx page which connects to a database on the server side what is it considered? If I have some business logic written within a VB file when the client access the functions within that business logic (for example some kind of validation function) does the client browser actually downloads that VB file? Can someone suggest how to differentiate between client side and server side components within a asp.net based website?  Hi, i can&#...

What is Client Side and Server Side?
I am New of ASP.Net What we can and should do client side and Server Side? What uses? Please any one clear my doubt. Thanking YouEndendrum Priyamudan P m R Clientside is basically what a person can see and serverside is where actions get processed. that's kinda simply puyt but thats the deal, you code serverside, and the html and javascript it generates let's the users for example click a button, then serverside you have coded what should happen when a button gets clicked for example turn text red. Then the server sends a new page with red text to the client (clientside...

Problem passing value client-side to server-side
I have a page that calls a pop-up while passing an encrypted value via a query string. The value is encrypted on the parent client-side in javascript so it needs to be decrypted client-side as well. This decryption occurs on closing the child (popup) and I am at a loss of when and how I should get this value to the server-side. On the popup you just want to process server side code? Anytime you can access for example the raw url:string raw = Page.Request.RawUrl;If you need to access any values on the client side you can access the url using javascript. Another idea is to, on the code beh...

how to pass values from client side to server side #2
Hi Guys....               This is Aani....I'm using ASP.NET in C# language.i have created one webpage for get input from user(from java script inputbox).i want that entered data in server side operations.how can i pass that value from client side server side.i need proper code in C# language.reply me soon... Thanks is Advanced... Regards....Aani plz use hidden field.ur assing values to text boxes through java script. before post back call a java scipt function to assign value to hodden fieed. even u can add these ...

passing client side variable value to server side
 i have a grid and  by click on the rows, the onrowclick event is fired on client side. I want to pass the row index to the server side. As there are not sessions variables in javascript so i am stuck to pass the row to the server side.. I have made a texbox and set its valueto the index in the onrowclick event but when refresh calls, the text box became empty as the value set is on client side, i want page to persistthe value,  How can i do that? Tel me some way passing the row index to the server side?? Hi, You can call GridView_SelectedIndexChanging event on row click ev...