Can we access controls within user controls on the client side without using ctl0_ControlsName

When we create controls within our user controls, the way we can access those controls in client side is i guess:

getElementByID('the client id')

but the server chnages the names of those controls to:  clt0_Controlsname, so i always have to use add ctl0 when I want to access to my controls of the user control on the client side.

is there a solution to this or that s just the way it is

thank you

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your taking the time to help me.
0
tutus

Hello tutus,

this is maybe the most frequent question in this forum, did you notice?

This problems is related to all server controls in the context of the so called naming containers (INamingContainer). Check this topic for a nice introduction: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1441122.aspx

For more answers and samples, there is a very handy search feature top-right...

Hope this helps. -LV

Julio P. Di Egidio
Software Analyst Programmer
=BUSINESS AND SCIENTIFIC=
=SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT=
http://julio.diegidio.name

(Peace X Love] = [++1)
0
LudovicoVan
10/30/2006 12:02:21 AM
really good thread. thanks a lot.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate your taking the time to help me.
0
tutus

How to access dynamically Html controls (client side controls) using C# server side scripts
Folks,I have problem try to to access dynamically Html controls (client side controls) using C# server side scripts. Please give me helps.     The error is as follows Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.Source Error: Line 79: { Line 80: Control c = Page.FindControl("ddlTC" + i); Line 81: ((DropDownList)c).DataSource = mdt; Line 82: ((DropDownList)c).DataTextField = "ClassID"; Line 83: ((DropDownList)c).DataValueField = "Course"; My aspx page source codes: ...<...

Java script cannot differentiate client side controls in user control used multiple on same webform
I have a textbox with a automcomplete extender and a client side link that, when clicked, changes style.display from "none" to "" to display a div that contains a listview with all possible choices for the text box.  I am using javascript to change the div style.display when the link is clicked.  When I have two instances of the usercontrol on the same webform, both links display the div on the first control.  How can the client side javascript tell the difference between the two divs? Try putting the javascript of the user c...

What are diff Server-side control and Client-side control ?
What are diff Server-side control and Client-side control ? and diff server -side coding and client -side coding ? please help I have answered the first part of your question in your previous posting. Server-side coding languages are ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, CGI (Perl) and many, many more. They are used to create dynamic web content (based on additional information that is attached to the request) and are often used to extract information from databases. Client-side coding languages are JavaScript, VBScript, EMACScript and are used to create dynamic content that responds to the u...

Combining a server-side control with a client-side control!

Web User Control +Client Side Control
Two Questions if Possible:  1: Some controls have methods/properties that can be gotten/set client-side (IE ASP:Timer).  Can usally access them by "$find('<%=Control.ClientID%>').get_(set_)name()".  I made a User Control that has a "Enabled" Propertiy (basically sets a bunch of its components to "visible = false" and then a Timer.Enabled=false).  I can't access my user controls "enabled" via client side script (IE $find(UserControl.ClientID).set_enabled(false)).  How do I bundle this type of fu...

List of client side function of extenders and controls for client side

Client side clock using server side controls
Is it possible to create a client side clock using a server side control (label or textbox) in C# without accessing JavaScript?  If so, how? In principal it is possible, it depends how often you need to reload this clock ... if every second than: 1. It is no sens to do I mean 2. You need than to make setTimeout client script, to refresh page every second With FastPage it seems more real task ... http://fastpage.more.at...

Is there a correspondance for each server side control to be equivalent to a client side html control
Where can find the list and can use that equivalence and what is its usage plsThanksThanks a lot, I appreciate your taking the time to help me. What exactly do you mean? A correspondence of what?All controls have a ClientID property, which for most controls tells the DOM element ID that will be used in the HTML rendering. Aside from that certain controls might offer additional client-side functionality, but there's no one standard.Thanks,EilonBlog: http://weblogs.asp.net/LeftSlipper/ I mean. When I am using html control in my aspx page like:  <input type=text ..>  and...

Accessing ModalPopupExtender Client Side In User Control
Hi, I have a problem whereby I want to hide a ModalPopupExtender control which is inside my user control from the client side. Basically, the user control contains a ModalPopupExtender which shows a panel containing some controls, one of which is a button. When the button is clicked, I want to hide the ModalPopupExtender and then process some server side code. THe problem that I have is that my code does not seem to be able to find the ModalPopupExtender. I have used the $Find("ModalPopupExtenderName").Hide() method, but all I get is a javascript error telling me that a n...

Accessing user controls data from client side
Hi, I want to open a new pop-up in my web site, but it is being blocked by the pop-up blocker. So I have to open it in the client-side. But I don't know how to access user control's values in the client side. If I access the data on the server-side and open my pop-up on the client-side, my pop-up don't receive the values, and if Itry to open it on the server-side, it id blocked. What can I do? Thanks, Oscar Hi, Actually I had a Usercontrol which contain a treeview.i try to identify Usercontrol by this way   var ContainerTable = $get('<%=Usercntrl....

How to access Client Side control in server side button click event?

validation, is it better to have client side or use server side validator controls
 Hi All. I want to do validation on text boxes etc. Is it better to do client side validation or just use the server side validation controls?   Hi!  If for server side controls you mean RequiredFieldValidator, CompareValidator, RegularExpressionValidator, etc.. i can tell you that they use client and server validation. For instance if you use a RequiredFieldValidator, on the client will be a validation, but on the server this condition will be evaluated again. Probably one of the objetives of this is deal with client with javascript disabled. Of course I ...

How to access all the methods of server controls and infragistics controls from client-side javascript.
I have some web controls on my page, which i want to manipulate without going to the server, that is, from a client-side javascript. I know how to call them with the documents.forms.... but i do not know how to call their methods. For the text box, the method to manipulate it is 'value'. It's a property i think. for the html <select> it is the 'options' array. But for the others, I dont know.My question is the following:I have an infragistics control: the UltraWebTree.This is its code in html: <ignav:ultrawebtree id="UltraWebTree1" style="Z-INDEX: 108; LEFT: 352p...

Web resources about - Can we access controls within user controls on the client side without using ctl0_ControlsName - asp.net.client-side