How to use Autocomplete extender without using a separate webservice

Hi,

 I want to use the Autocomplete extender without using a separate webservice file. I am not able get how to use the page method instead of webservice for autocomplete extender. Can anybody suggest me on how to accomplish this.

 Thanks,

Gayathri.

0
Gayathri_Bangalore

Hi Gayathri,

You can remove your WebMethod into code behind from a single file(WebSerivce).  For example,

    {
    }
    [System.Web.Services.WebMethod]
    [System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptMethod]
    public static string[] GetCompletionList(string prefixText, int count, string contextKey)    {
        List<string> items = new List<string>(count);

        // code to here to get the returned items.
        return items.ToArray();
    }

You can find pretty good samples in the AJAX Control Toolkit's Source code.  By the way, if you put this into the MasterPage, it won't work unless you use individual WebService.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan Shen
Microsoft Online Community Support
Jonathan
12/19/2007 8:22:50 AM

Jonathan,

 I tried doing the same as you mentioned, but this time when I clicked on the textbox with ajax autocomplete extender, it showed a drop down list containing only "undefined"

0
Gayathri_Bangalore
12/19/2007 3:13:43 PM

Hi Gayathri,

Would you please give me a simple & workable repro?

Best regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan Shen
Microsoft Online Community Support
Jonathan

to use a webservice or not to use a webservice?
hi folks, i have a web-based application that connects to a server for processing and then gets back the data from the server asynchonously to display to the user--specifically, the user identifies a product by answering coupla questions and then the program connects to a CAD server to generate models of the product to display to the user. creating the CAD files typically takes little over a minute or so...but i would like to know whether its a good idea to use a web-service to connect to the CAD server and then do the processing or whether remoting is a better way to do this. ...

call webservice using javascript without using AJAX and webservice.htc?
HI,how can i call a webservice without using AJAX and Webservice.htc, using any protocols?Thanks.X you could skip using an AJAX framework and issue an xmlHttpRequest directlyhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMLHttpRequestMike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a site code sample in a different language? Try converting it with: http://converter.telerik.com/ Hi, thanks mbanavige.well, is there any disadvantage of using xmlhttprequest?and one more question can AJAX also work on other web servers than IIS like Apache? and is AJAX compatible with all browsers other than IE?how can i call a web servi...

How to use net use?
Please can any one tell me how to use the dos command net use properly? I have read the help but can't seem to get it to work. Keep getting sytax error message. Thanks in advance. "Beowulf" <who-knows@no-one.com> wrote in message news:9krutk$puu$1@news.grc.com... > Please can any one tell me how to use the dos command net use properly? > > I have read the help but can't seem to get it to work. Keep getting sytax > error message. what are you trying to do? There are about 50 options to "net use" that do a ton of different thin...

how to use Crystal Reports without using VS.net GUI
I have VS.net but I don't use it to develop my asp.net web pages. I use it simply as an overpriced text editor. I do not create projects/solutions etc. It's just a personal preference...it's much easier, I think, to develop without the VS GUI. I have played with Crystal Reports and done some of the samples found in the Wrox CR/VS.net book. All these samples reley on using CR through VS. They work fine when I build them through VS GUI. But, since the rest of my site was built outside the GUI, I'd like to do the same with my CR pages. That way I don't have to create a solution, assembly, et...

Using Using
I have just completed reading a chapter in my book on performance. The books says to speed up performance on your web site you should use the using statement when opening connections. My question is how do you catch errors if you are using this as apposed to a try catch block.thanksBryan  Why would you use it as an alternative to a try/catch statement. Couldn't you just do something like  public void UsingSomeMethod() { try { SomeMethod(); } catch(SomeException e) { /// do something useful }}public void SomeMethod() { using (Something) { ...

When to use ( and when to use ((?
I'm just not getting it. When do you use ( in a statement, when do you need to use ((, and is the space after either or both mandatory? For example, I coded this statement: if (( $_ eq $bad_guys_ip )) { more_stuff_here }; Why the two (( in an if? And why does it seem to not work when I miss the space after the ((? Thanx! Mark me as... /Corn-fused|Dense/ > I'm just not getting it. >=20 > When do you use ( in a statement, when do you need to use ((, and is > the space after either or both mandatory? >=20 > For example, I coded this sta...

problem in autocomplete extender when use webservices
Dear all,     i m facing a problem when i use webservice in autocompleteextender .........    my webservices running fine but when i add it into  autocomplete extender control it does not perfom any action .  my aspx file code is: <cc1:AutoCompleteExtender ID="AutoCompleteExtender1" runat="server"           ServiceMethod="GetCountryOrStatesInfo" ServicePath="HoliCity.asmx" MinimumPrefixLength="1"       &nbs...

How to use modal popup with datalist and how to retrive the value without using webservice..
 Hi friends,I want to use sigle modal popup with datalist. and i dont want to use webservice to recieved the value without using webservice.I have tried it with webservice it seem its not working for me . If someone can send me a working example with webservice in vb that would also be great. Some thing like microsoft has done on its front page. But wanna retrive data from database. Please send me the code in Vb and not in C#. Thanks in advance .Puneet   Hi Puneet, welcome to the forums. Can you explain a little more about your problem?  Do you want to use a Webse...

I want to use modalpop extender to do complex insert functionality, should I use webservice?
Hello,I have a pretty big GridView with about 13 columns. The current insert functionality is done through a popup window, I would like to change that to a modalpopup.My issue is that my current insert popup is pretty complex with severals dropdownlist which generate postback when index is changed in order to re-populate the other dropdownlist. I also have a search function with a combo type ahead. In term of performance, should I use a web-service for the modalpop to handle all of my insert functionality or should I just have all the code in the page that contains the modalpopup extender?T...

Webservice
How can I return multiple resultsets in XML without data sets. I was able to retrieve a single result set earlier without using a data set by serialising my class with public objects as strings as under and later assigning them to a Single result set from a reader. Now my stored procedure returns multiple resultsets, how could I return XML with multiple records for the results of my stored procedure.[Serializable] [XmlRoot(Namespace = "www.triton.com/webservices", ElementName = "GetBooking", DataType = "string", IsNullable = false)] public class Booking {[...

How to use the arguments to use() in the package being used
Howdy,=20 The subject says it all believe it or not :) What I'm trying to figure out is how to pass an argument=20 (pragma I believe is the proper term) to use() and do=20 sonethign in the package based on it. I've looked at CGI.pm source but can't seem to track it down.=20 (Similar idea as to CGIs -oldstyle_urls -newstyel_urls) http://search.cpan.org/~lds/CGI.pm-3.04/CGI.pm#PRAGMAS What I'd like to do is something like this: # for old time's sake we'll just use our favorite module use Foo::Monkey qw(:Foo :Bar -doamazingthings); #then in Foo::Monkey...

HI allI have a urgent requirement i want to convert .tiff image to .pdf file Thanks in advance Regards RaviPlease click "mark as answer" if this post helped you. I dont think its possible without doing a lot of code or using third party tools, but if you  are looking for a free tool you can try a combination of http://blog.codebeach.com/2008/02/convert-multipage-tiff-to-pdf-in-net.htmland  http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/Creating_PDF_documents_in.aspx Thanks and RegardsS.K.Vignesh----------------------Do remember to "Mark as answer" for this pos...

Is there a BUG of autocomplete extender Ajax using VB.Net? Please HELP!!!
 guyz i really realyy need ur help! is there a bug of Ajax autocomplete extender when using VB.net? i tried to pull data from database, but the result is NONE! its very frustrating!!i tried to pull the "name" inside the "department" table. here's my webservice i've created. 1 Option Explicit On2 Option Strict Off3 Imports System.Web4 Imports System.Web.Services5 Imports System.Web.Services.Protocols6 Imports System.Data7 Imports System.Data.SqlClient8 Imports System.Collections.Generic9 10 <WebService(Namespace:="http://...

Web resources about - How to use Autocomplete extender without using a separate webservice - asp.net.ajax_control_toolkit

Autocomplete - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Autocomplete , or word completion , is a feature provided by many web browsers , e-mail programs , search engine interfaces, source code editors ...

Autocomplete Me - EPIC FAIL Funny Videos and Epic Fail Funny Pictures
Click for more epic fails, videos, and wins. (Share this post and make someone ROFL!)

Autocomplete Data - Facebook-Entwickler
The value specified for the type parameter is the category of autocomplete data to retrieve, e.g. to retrieve locales, you can specify type=adlocale ...

OneKeyboard - colorful and fast custom autocomplete keyboard on the App Store on iTunes
Get OneKeyboard - colorful and fast custom autocomplete keyboard on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Distraction of the Day: Someone Turned Google Autocomplete Into a Family Feud-Style Game
Say goodbye to productivity, because this game just took over your workday/life. Whenever you start typing a search into Google, the search engine ...

Selling kidneys to buy drones: the economy according to Google autocomplete
Autocomplete, the Google function that suggests full search questions based on a few words, has long served as a humorous (or harrowing) window ...

‘Google Feud’ combines popular game show with Google search autocomplete
Surely by now you've seen various jokes about Google's autocomplete feature, which suggests endings for your search terms based on what other ...

TweetDeck for Mac updated with username autocomplete, a new tweet composer, and more
... App Store . Check out 9to5Mac for more breaking coverage of Apps . What do you think? Discuss "TweetDeck for Mac updated with username autocomplete, ...

New Twitter Search Comes with Autocomplete and New Filters
Last Friday, Twitter announced what’s new on its search functionality: Search autocomplete and “People You Follow” search result. In addition ...

Google Autocomplete Is Letting The Terrorists Win
Be careful about what you search for on Google...