Server requests without using UpdatePanel

I've been using Michael Schwarz ajax library for a while.  One thing that's nice about it is the ability to make direct server callbacks without any type of UI.  You just register the server function in server-side code, which then makes those functions available to the client.  You can send and receive data when calling the server-side functions, and call them synchronously or asynchronously.  Is there a way to do this easily with asp.net ajax?  I looked through the docs for a while, but didn't see anything readily.

StewMeyers

Use Webservices together with JSON, it is really cool. Just mark your webservice as <Microsoft.Web.Script.Services.ScriptService()> and register it in your ScriptManager, you can then access the methods using JavaScript asynchronously without using the UpdatePanel.

I would recommend you to read this article http://ajax.asp.net/docs/tutorials/ConsumingWebServicesWithAJAXTutorial.aspx

Good luck!

"What good is money if it can't inspire terror in your fellow man?"
0
ViktorBergmanSwe
1/17/2007 9:12:25 AM
ViktorBergmanSwe:

Use Webservices together with JSON, it is really cool. Just mark your webservice as <Microsoft.Web.Script.Services.ScriptService()> and register it in your ScriptManager, you can then access the methods using JavaScript asynchronously without using the UpdatePanel.

I would recommend you to read this article http://ajax.asp.net/docs/tutorials/ConsumingWebServicesWithAJAXTutorial.aspx

Thanks much Viktor; I'll take a look at the article.

- Stew

0
StewMeyers

How do I use an ajax indicator without using and updatepanel?
Hi, I have an onclick event that calls a javascript function that calls a webservice via ajax (the webservice has the [ScriptService] attribute.) How can I have an ajax indicator without using the updatepanel.  Nothing so far has required the updatepanel.  I tried a simple visible and then hidden style, but it isn't working. Thank you for any help.  Add the indicator (an animated gif? or some text) to a div which is absolutely positioned has z-index set and also has id, like:<div id="progress" style="position: absolute; left: 100px; top: 100px; width:...

Is it different to use serveral small UpdatePanels or use one UpdatePanel with entire page?
How many data with processed on server and how many data will response to client? I think multiple small UpdatePanel should surely be better.See HERE. dflying: UpdatePanel just updates ALL the controls in its ContentTemplate from server, which may be very low efficient. 你好! Just FYI o_O...

Use Ajax Control Toolkit without .NET?
Hello,  I couldn't find any (good) documentation about the Ajax Control Toolkit and would like to know if it can also be used independently of the .Net framework, e.g. with php or java on the server.  thanks, luke Hey, No, it requires the ASP.NET AJAX extensions, which has to use .NET.  You may be able to find a port for Mono; don't know anything about that.  Brian"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires" (Psalm 37: 3-4)....

How to call server side function by javascript using Ajax.Net
Sir, I want to call the server side function by javascript function. Is it possible using Ajax.Net (System.Web.Extensions.dll or AjaxControlToolkit.dll)? If yes then please give me the code or URL. I found some article using Ajax.dll but I want to use System.Web.Extensions.dll or AjaxControlToolkit.dll. Please help me. Thanks in advance Paresh        Hi, Ajax.NET and ASP.NET AJAX, what you want, are completely different implementations so please be sure to use the correct terminology in the future as there are already 100+ AJAX frameworks aroun...

Creating an Ajax Toolbox control using vb.net on the server
I am brand new to Ajax and I'm trying to figure out how to insert an Ajax toolkit HoverMenu control using vb.net on the server.  Is there any vb.net sample code available that demonstrates how to create controls from the Ajax Toolbox?  I'm not sure of (among other things) what namespaces need to be imported.  As I said, I'm brand new to this and need help getting started. Many thanks. Sheldon  Hi Sheldon,I made this sample which create hoverMenuExtender according to your requirements, please try it. <%@ Page Language="VB" %> <!DO...

HoverMenuExtender: getting the UI functionality without sending a request back to the server.
 I am trying to implement a detail view when hovering over a html table I have built. The HoverMenuExtender works except that the size of the request it sends  and the response it recieves eventually overwhelm the server.The data is already present when the user loads the page the first time. Is there anyway to strip out the ajax portion of the control and simply use the javascript effects to show and hide the detail view? I am currently looking at the source code for the HoverMenu but I am having some difficulties seeing where the xmlhttprequest is called.Thanks for ant help or ad...

When using ActiveX Control, is it possible to receive an event from the server, without client request?
When using ActiveX Control, is it possible to receive an event from the server, without client request?In other words, The Client can receive request from the server, if any event is fired in the server, is it possible to contact the client by the server. ...

can we deploy RDL files into report server without using web services through .Net
how can we deploy the reports into report server with out using web services from .Net. Is it possible. Hi vidyaIt is possible, after the initial deployment and folders were created. You could do the following:Browse to your reportserver. Normally [server]/reportsBrowse to the report and click on it. Select the report's 'Properities' Tab. Under the heading 'Report Definition' are 2 options 'Edit' and 'Update'. Use the 'Update' to upload the new rdl file. This will deploy a new version.Hope this helps,l0n3i200n Hi folks,             ...

How to Implement the Asyncronous communication to .ASPX server Page(should not postback) Without Using Ajax Controls
 Hi,Regarding : How to Avoid the PostBack.....OR ..How to Implement Update Panel Functionality.... This Sundararaj,  I want to Implement Small Application which is useful for Asyncronous Communication with server(Avoid Postback) ,that mean my page Refresing always, so i want to avoid this .for   this issue i do not want to use Ajax Controls insted of I hava tried to Used that XMLHTTPRequest object to implement that Asyncronous Communication with server page .which is working fine But I need the Source Code Of Script Manager & Update Panel Control.... Or ....How to Imp...

working with list boxes , without postback of the page in vb.net using ajax technology
Hi !                 I am working with the list box program using ajax technology, but i am not using ajax framework.                 i am taking 2 list boxes, when i select an item in the first list box that item must be added in the second listbox.                 i am using javascript , visusal studio 2005 and  Internet Exploree  ...

Samples of using ajax without using toolkit
Hi,           I am new to asp.net. Anyone please give me some samples or examples of ajax by using callbacks without using toolkit and without database.  Please reply soon...   Thanks In Advance <asp:Label id="Time" runat="server"></asp:Label><asp:ScriptManager id="sm1" runat="server"></asp:ScriptManager> <asp:UpdatePanel>    <ContentTemplate>        <asp:Button id="Button" runat="server&q...

HELP
I am having troubles understanding what I need to do to integrate Visual Basic .NET 2003 with IIS 6.0, where VS.NET is installed on my Windows 2000 machine, but the IIS is running on a separate Windows 2003 Server.We purchase Visual Basic .NET Standard.   I assume that is all that is required for creating ASP.NET pages, Web services and Web applications?We ran the setup on the Windows 2000 machine.   The prerequisites were installed, followed by VB.NET.   We installed the .NET Framework 1.1 SDK and then the .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1.On the Windows 2...

Web resources about - Server requests without using UpdatePanel - asp.net.ajax-ui

Newest 'internet-explorer-11' Questions - Stack Overflow
current community chat blog Stack Overflow Meta Stack Overflow Stack Overflow Careers your communities Sign up or log in to customize your list. ...

Calendar of Events - St Paul the Apostle Primary, Winston Hills
... Paul the Apostle is a two-stream Catholic parish school in Winston Hills, catering for boys and girls from Kindergarten to Year 6. Hidden UpdatePanel, ...

Drink of the Week - Logicum
Logicum It's Logical to share Menu Skip to content Home Contests Food Recipes Drink of the Week Health Technology Sports Space World Day Weapons ...

Advert-Rotator™ Rotate any type of ad, advert or banner - Welcome
NEW : Google Adsense™ in AJAX Updatepanel - Rotate any type of advertisement on your website. Whether it is Google Adsense™, Flash video or banner, ...

dotnet HighCharts inside UpdatePanel
Read my article about the HighCharts.net databind? A frequently question regards the possibility to get functioning a dotnet.HighCharts chart ...

Blog Archive
Blog Archive 2013 75 Essential Tools for iOS Developers Aug 15 2013 posted in iOS Speaking at Cocoa Conf PDX Jul 13 2013 posted in Speaking In ...

ASP.NET AJAX and jQuery Presentation
... the following demo Visual Studio 2008 projects: ASP.NET AJAX and jQuery Demo Illustrates how to use ASP.NET AJAX (ScriptManager, UpdatePanel, ...

Latest Updates
Latest Updates - Free source code and tutorials for Software developers and Architects.; Updated: 15 Feb 2013

New Release of WatirMaker now WatirRecorder
Rutger Smit & Scott Hanselman have released a new version of WatirMaker, now retitled WatirRecorder. This is a great program for building UI ...

Work smarter: MS AJAX’s JavaScript type extensions
Examples of using Array.contains, Date.format, String.format, and other base type extensions to accelerate ASP.NET AJAX client side development. ...