Need help getting started

Ok, I'm quite new with AJAX and it seems cool...  I'm running ASP.NET 2.0 and I believe I have ASP.NET AJAX - I say believe because I went to apply the "convert" instructions and the mods already seem to be in place...

If I underatand correctly, AJAX allows us to put display type controls inside UpdatePanels and then have them update with new information based on receiving events from user input type controls - like buttons.  I have several UpdatePanels with AsyncPostBackTriggers referencing other controls like buttons.

Is the implecation here that we no longer need these controls to participate in that VIEWSTATE hidden field?  I have a rather large TreeView control in an update panel and it is in fact updated when its trigger is hit.  I then use the "SelectedNodeChanged" event from the tree control to update some other UpdatePanel.  And I've taken the TreeView off the VIEWSTATE...  When I then click one of the nodes in the TreeView, the TreeView disappears and the panel I expect to be updated isnt.  But if I put the TreeView back in the VIEWSTATE list, everything works - it just takes so dog-gone long for the page to load...  So what's the relationship between all these UpdatePanels and the VIEWSTATE?

Curt

0
curtisdehaven

Treeview is not actually supported within update panels and thus may be the source of your frustration...

-- jody
My Blogs on .Net 2.0 and Ajax
http://csk.wbcb.com
http://ArtbyJody.com
0
jodywbcb

Just need some help getting started and not sure where to go for help!
Hello All, My company is interested in hosting Exchange 2003, i have read this list and figured out I need to use some combo of MPS, MOM DCAM, MOM DB, EXCH Back-end, EXCH Front-End, and a couple of AD servers however I am not even sure where to start. We are a MS Parnter and have an SPLA license but we were sent the "Hosted Exchange" media and all it was is EXCH Standard Edition. Is there some documentation somewhere that tells me how to setup the environment and all that is required? I am good at Exchange AD, MOM, SQL, all that in an Enterprise Environment but I have no clue...

help help help with getting started
I have a simple page with this code: <%@ Page Language="vb" Debug="true" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data.SQLClient" %> <script runat="server"> sub Page_load(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) if not ispostback then 'create connection Dim Conn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection 'create data adapter Dim dataAdapter As SqlDataAdapter = New SqlDataAdapter 'create dataset Dim dataview...

Need help getting this started...
I am knew to asp.net and have no coding experience to speak of.  I am trying to work with the community starter kit and have no success in getting started.  Are there any SIMPLE instructions for novices that explain how to setup and use this kit?Any help would be greatly appreciated!RM Hello,I am also relatively new. But I just went through a lot of this, so maybe I can help a bit. First of all, it took me 3 different downloads to find a kit that installed all the way through without error. I suggest that you do NOT choose the JS versions (J-sharp). Although it installed oka...

Help Needed Getting Started
I'm new to .NET Web Development and have downloaded and installed Visual Web Developer Studio 2008 Express. I followed the simple steps in "Create Your First Web Site" on the Start Page. However, I get the following error: Server Error in '/WebSite2' Application. Unable to cast object of type 'System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceHostingEnvironmentSection' to type 'System.ServiceModel.Configuration.ServiceHostingEnvironmentSection'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review t...

Getting Started Help Needed
Hi, I'm having some troubles with getting sysbase going for me. I'm not a DBA and need some help. When I try to connect I get an error message that either SYBASE is not running (which it is), or I have a port specified incorrectly. I'm using the default of 5002. Any ideas out there on what I'm doing wrong. Thanks Default is usually 5000, how many installs of Sybase do you have. <Doug_Collins> wrote in message news:C9D15F13B172434B004B972C85256CD3.004B977485256CD3@webforums... > Hi, > I'm having some troubles with getting sysbase going fo...

Need Help Getting Started
I am trying to create my first WebPart using Visual Studio.Net 2008 and C#. This will be used in an ASP.Net web application and I don't have any plans for use in SharePoint at this time. I haven't found any code samples so I started by creating a new User Control (.ascx). The first thing I found was that there doesn't seem to be any project templates for WebParts, is that true? I attempted to go two routes, first to use WebPart as the base class and the second to use System.Web.UI.UserControl, IWebPart as the base class + Interface. I found problems using this both ways. W...

Need Help Getting Started....
http://worldpedigrees.com/Beagles.htm thats a site i'm looking to create my site after.... I'm wanting a database thats easy to use and everything... look it over and give me some ideas... jack Uh? Come again? I'm sorry but you'll have to provide a little more detail of what "ideas" you're looking for here."I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code." -unknown...

How do I get started with AJAX.Net?

need help getting started!
I hope I"m allowed to post this here, as it is somewhat related to ASP.NET. I'm new to programming, and people said that I should learn C# before trying to attempt ASP.NET, and so I've started reading Learning C#by Jesse Liberty. And I'm following his instructions and he says to go to the command prompt and enter csc helloworld.cs. But when I do that, it says, 'csc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, etc. Can someone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Thanks! CSC will be in <drive>:\<Winnt or windows>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<ve...

Needs help on getting starting...
Hello , I am new to developing with ASP. I have to develop an order tracking intranet application.The application will be to track request for proposal that will pass thru 5 stages before we come up with a bid. I will be using SQL Server database. and windows 2003 server. I there any example that I can use or any that you would recommend that I look at? Thanks Khurshid Check out the ASP.NET Starter Kits....

Need Help getting Started
Aloha, I had no problem loading up the Portal VS and recevied this message when trying to view the page: Server Application Unavailable The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request. Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur. Here are the error messages: ...

Newbie needs help getting started
This is my first attempt to write a report.  I have a really simple test report, that I'm trying to view using the MicrosoftReportViewer.  I don't have any problem testing in local mode, but when I upload the files to the website, I get the following error: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.I have the 3.0 framework installed on the server - I installed Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express E...

Web resources about - Need help getting started - asp.net.ajax-ui

Here’s A New New Star Wars Trailer, And It’s All About The Bad Guy
Thanksgiving doesn’t really rhyme with Star Wars Episode VII, but given that Disney wants to break the record of trailers before a theatrical ...

White House undergoes holiday lockdown after man jumps fence
ABC15 Arizona White House undergoes holiday lockdown after man jumps fence ABC15 Arizona Another day, another White House fence jumper. The ...

Donald Trump Firmly Denies Mocking Disabled Reporter, Demands Apology From New York Times
Business mogul and presidential hopeful Donald Trump is at the center of controversy once again after he appeared to have mocked a New York Times ...

Kremlin says Turkey's Erdogan requests meeting with Putin in Paris
Reuters Kremlin says Turkey's Erdogan requests meeting with Putin in Paris Reuters MOSCOW Russia said on Friday that Turkish President Tayyip ...

French fly flags from windows for Paris victims in rare patriotic display
Windows in apartments, office buildings and corner cafes were draped with the French flag on Friday in a rare display of patriotism as France ...

For the kids suing over climate change, things are going well so far
When the young people working with Our Children’s Trust talk about their lawsuits to compel governments to act on climate change, they like to ...

Rebel Wilson Wishes Her Fans a Happy Pre-Thanksgiving!
Rebel Wilson is all smiles as she makes her way through Heathrow Airport on Wednesday (November 25) in London, England. The Pitch Perfect 2 ...

PlayStation 4 Remote Play Coming to the PC Desktop
A quite amazing piece of technology that’ll have lapsed gamers stunned by what’s possible nowadays is on the way from Sony, with one of its development ...

Social Elites Slammed on Pope Francis’ Kenya Visit
Pope Francis’ Kenya visit concluded Friday with a visit to Kangemi, a poor shanty town on the outskirts of Nairobi. The visit to such a poor ...

LG to build a new OLED plant for more than $8.71 billion
In the past couple of years, we've constantly seen launches of OLED TVs with amazing picture quality, but high prices kept their sales way below ...