Getting data without refreshing the page - can .Net make this easier?

Hi

I want to be able to retrieve some data from a database when an object is clicked on the web page, but I don't want to refresh the page.  When I used to use ASP I would use a hidden IFRAME (to do a hidden post) or even RDS (if I felt brave!).  However, I have seen some .net sites that seem to handle this in a far more graceful way.

Not sure if the answer is actually AJAX and not through a .NET.

0
MattLuckham

You can use the AJAX.NET framework or you use your own javascript libaries but it is done through javascript calls.

Matthew M. Osborn
http://blog.osbornm.com
http://weblogs.asp.net/asptest
"Change the world or go home."
0
osbornm
3/13/2008 10:10:03 PM

You are looking for the UpdatePanel control.

-Damien

Visoft, Inc - Home | Blogs

Latest Blog Post: SQL 2008 x64 and VS2008 SP1
0
dwhite
chetan
3/14/2008 3:30:40 AM

Actually it seems to me that you should use a ScriptService, if you are only retrieving data.

http://www.asp.net/ajax/documentation/live/tutorials/ExposingWebServicesToAJAXTutorial.aspx
http://weblogs.asp.net/dwahlin/archive/2006/12/28/understanding-asp-net-ajax-web-service-proxies.aspx

If you are updating any webcontrols based on the data you retrieve, then I would recommend an UpdatePanel.

0
einarq
3/14/2008 9:43:00 AM

hi MattLuckham,

there are different ways to do this.

yes AJAX is also an option but if you dont want to go for AJAX then ASP.NET 2.0 has another option script call back .

so two options :

1) using asp.net script callback

2) using AJAX update panel for partial refresh .

3) using traditional JAVAscript method

Both of these ways has there own pros and cons so depending on the application need you have to select the better option.

IF you can provide details about platform you are using and the applicaiton scenario can give you some suggestion

 -Priyanka

* Dont forget to mark as answer if my post help you

0
priyanka

Page is not getting refreshed but my datagrid is getting refreshed how to refresh the page
Hi EveryOne, Im getting a problem here that my datgrid is getting refreshed for every Updation ,Edit,Cancel commands but the page is not getting refreshed so anybody can help me how a page gets refreshed in a button click in C# of Asp.Net.                            Thanx in Advance RuttsRatnakar Choudry,c.ratnakar@gmail.com,Tension Nahi Leneka Apun Hai Nah... When you do an update on the DataGrid, for sure a postback happens! So how is it that the DataG...

.Net 3.5 ADO.Net Data Service & Ajax
 Hello, I was trying to use the example in the following video and I keep getting "Server Method "Categories" failed" error. I have .Net 3.5 SP1 and VS 2008, is there any workable example out there? I also added the Entity Data Model. http://www.asp.net/learn/3.5-SP1/video-239.aspx  I really like the way how you can access data in the database using javascript. Any help on this code? thx Default.aspx     <input id="ButtonQuery" type="button" value="Perform Query" onclick="return ButtonQuery_oncli...

System.Web.UI.Page and Ajax.net
 İ use .net 2005 and ajax.net.Normally i use System.Web.UI.Page,my webpage is working.But in here we use other page that extends System.Web.UI.Page.if i extend my class to our  webpage my ajax.net isn't  working. My error explanation is: sys.webfrom.pagerequestmanagerparserErrorException:the message received from the server could not beparsed.Common causes for this error are when the response is modifies by calls to Response.write(),response filters,httpmodules,or server trace is enabled. Details:Error parsing near'itle||Untitled PAge|<script language=J...

How to refresh database data through ajax without reloading page.
Hi, I am new to ajax and hopefully someone can help. I am trying to create a page that loads data from a database with a button, and I want new set of data from the database to load everytime the button is clicked. However, I cannot get the new data loaded without reloading the page. Right now, the old set of data always appears. Here are my codes: Ajax: ==============================================================  <script type="text/javascript"> var xmlHttp function bookworm(){ xmlHttp=GetXmlHttpObject(); if (xmlHttp==null)   {   alert ...

How to get data from database OnMouseover event without refreshing the page..?
Hello.. I am working on location based Information system,at present my requirement is to create ToolTip which retrive information from database on the basis of their associated geographic coordinates,  without flicking or re-initializing the page..!!! In short, I want to reduce unncessary roundtrip to server..       Thanx in Advance..!!!   How about using HoverMenu and doing the database fetch in that? http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/HoverMenu/HoverMenu.aspxThanks,MaxLet Me Google That For You! Simply read the inform...

Net:Net:Net::LDAP::FAQ

Using Ajax with OboutSlideMenu, getting data from SQL without Page reloading
Hello, I have a project that is actually a calculation. Each element of the calculation has a Menu by  means of which the user choose one type of  device (e.g. electrical consumer), and automatically a lot of data are get from a SQL data bank. This data are to be put into textboxes in the aspx page.and be used for the calculation  Simultaneously to this new objects and their properties are set in the respective Classes. After that a calculation is done based on these data. All of that I want to happens without reloading the page, because there is a drawing in that which is al...

refresh a data page without resending data
I'm currently developing a page to insert data into a database, upon pressing the refresh button how do i NOT get that resend information box? Or am I not getting the point here, I'm guessing it could be something to do with cache/session/state. All I want basically is to not just refresh the page but restart it, i'm thinking data may still be in the memory upon refreshing which is why it wants to resend? Any explanation would be cool, and code to fix it would be even better. ThanksDeian ------- On a scale of 1 to 10 on ASP.NET I'd say I'm 4. HTH when replying. Can't wait for Whid...

working with list boxes , without postback of the page in vb.net using ajax technology
Hi !                 I am working with the list box program using ajax technology, but i am not using ajax framework.                 i am taking 2 list boxes, when i select an item in the first list box that item must be added in the second listbox.                 i am using javascript , visusal studio 2005 and  Internet Exploree  ...

how to get session data for array of checked items from checkbox to next page using vb.net
 Hi Im trying to pass session data values for  checked item's from checkbox's to next page on click. Here Im getting urlpath for selected checkbox items. How can i make it as array in session data and pass data to next page's.Any one plz its urgent. New to .Net   Protected Sub Page1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Page1.Click            Dim urlpath As String = Nothing            Dim alttext As String = Nothing &n...

Paging in AP.NET/VB.NET
Hi All, Well... a simple problem perhaps regarding paging in an asp.net application using vb.net. I have a datagrid named dgResult and being trying to implement paging on it.  Following is the code to capture the PageIndexChanged event. Sub dgResult_PageIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As DataGridPageChangedEventArgs) Handles dgResult.PageIndexChanged dgResult.CurrentPageIndex = e.NewPageIndex GetProperData() End Sub I have a break point at dgResult.Curre.... position.  The datagrid, just do not accept the method and I can not event trap the event using a break ...

Really simple update in Ajax.net but this not work (page refreshed in remote and locally little flickering at favicon ico)
HelloI have a  simple page i want to update every second  but in remote the page is refreshed (progress bar in browser visible fast or flickering page) and locally favicon ico in tabs flickering.. I use IE7 and  and the page is reloaded inside an iframe and also showed without frame.. i put inside the <contenttemplate> tag this controls  http://www.codeplex.com/ExtJsExtenderControl http://www.carlosag.net/Tools/WebChart/Default.aspxI use also 2 ajax panel from magic ajax  framework (i try to use only magic ajax tag but it is the same..)Where i wrong??...

close aps.net page
Hi all,my problem...I have a Page1 with GRIDVIEW - where i click on an EDIT Button - this opens a new asp.net page2 with DetailView - to the selected ID in page1.In Page2 i have an Update Button. After Click on this Button i want to update the data to DB and close this page (Page2), redirect back to page1 with the previous selected ID and update the GRIDVIEW.I tried with onclick,response redirect, redeirecturl etc...But it doesn´t workCan someone help - Thanks  try this in update click in the page2. Dim str As String        str = "<scrip...

how to make parent page without refresh when popup a page
I have a button on the parent page, when I click on the button the parent page,the parent page will refresh. Is there any way to make the parent page did not refresh but it just call up a pop up?below is the button code. Any help? Appreaciate any help !!!<asp:Button ID="btnClarify" runat="server" CssClass="ActiveButton" Text="Clarify" Width="123px" OnClientClick="javascript:window.open('frmClarify.aspx','popup','width=450,height=300,scrollbars=no,resizable=yes,top=150,left=250')" />kiwi_cyh change the button to a normal html input button or put return false(); after your window.open ...

Web resources about - Getting data without refreshing the page - can .Net make this easier? - asp.net.ajax-ui

Moke (墨客) — A Refreshing Weibo Client (刷新你的微博体验) for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store ...
Get Moke (墨客) — A Refreshing Weibo Client (刷新你的微博体验) on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

NSW election: Leaders' conduct makes a refreshing change
One of the most encouraging things to come out of Saturday night was Luke Foley's apparent willingness to join Mike Bard in lifting political ...

Socceroos certain also-rans: how refreshing
Australia is the 62nd-ranked soccer country in the world. In the other team sports dearest to Australians' hearts, there are not even 62 countries ...

WAG culture: Mirka Federer made a refreshing change
It really shouldn't be headline news, not in 2014, but so faultlessly has Mirka Federer conducted herself in the five years she has been married ...

Refreshing taste of diplomacy
The Scandinavians are heading south.

Refreshing way to brew a sector newbie
Nexba: refreshing way to brew an iced tea sector newbie

Justin Trudeau's Abortion Tweet About Women Is Pretty Refreshing
At a time when it can feel like women's rights are being determined by people who aren't, frankly, affected by them, one Canadian politician ...

Tea's refreshing change
Li Jiayi and her friends are happy to spend 1,000 yuan between them over a pot of tea.

This ‘Refreshing’ Document Review Job Ad Is Actually Just Annoying And Unprofessional
Does this company want document review attorneys or “camp counselors?” Continue reading » Follow Above the Law on Twitter or become a fan on ...

Coke Zero Even Makes PowerPoint A Bit More Refreshing
... that’s enough to suspect it’ll get passed around the office by basketball lovers. The post Coke Zero Even Makes PowerPoint A Bit More Refreshing ...