whats difference in web project and web site application

when i use the profile property in (web site project), ie at config file, i am not able to set the property on the default page

but its functioning well when i just take a new website option from the file.

..... and thats it i want to know ... what make New Project different from New website
0
shabxs

 Hi, I think you are referring to making a website application project vs a web site project:

0
rtpHarry
3/10/2009 1:10:08 PM

Check

Comparing Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects

in below link

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa730880(VS.80).aspx

Please mark it as answer if it resolves the issue.

visit: http://technicalsol.blogspot.com

Please mark it as answer if it resolves the issue.

visit: http://technicalsol.blogspot.com
0
sumitd
3/10/2009 4:47:18 PM
Thanks for the help... I am checking with the posted link.
0
shabxs
3/11/2009 10:35:22 AM

 Hi

"The main differences between both approaches are that for Web Application Projects, all code-behind class files and all the stand alone classes for the project are compiled into a single assembly placed in the bin folder; for Web Site Projects, the source code is deployed and when a page is requested dynamic compilation takes place, generating an assembly for each page...."

For more on this please check out the following article :-

http://www.manuelabadia.com/blog/PermaLink,guid,8ac87727-5cf9-40e7-9792-63e8541f3157.aspx

Regards
Pawan Mishra
“The greatest compliment that was ever paid to me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.” - Henry David Thoreau
0
Pawan_Mishra

Based on my understanding, you want to know the defference between Web Site and Web Application.(Web Site VS Web Application)

There are several refferences to help you choose Web Site or Web Application.

http://blogs.vertigo.com/personal/swarren/Blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=10

http://reddnet.net/code/aspnet-web-site-vs-web-application/

http://blogs.vertigosoftware.com/teamsystem/archive/2006/11/03/4057.aspx

Hope it helps.

Vince Xu
Microsoft Online Community Support
Vince

Difference between Web Site Project, and Web Application Project?
Hi - can anyone please explain, in simple terms, what the difference is between a Web Site Project, and a Web Application Project? I've read Scotts blog at http://webproject.scottgu.com/VisualBasic/Migration/Migration.aspx - but am none the wiser. I'm about to upgrade from VS2003 to VS2005 - and don't want to waste a lot of time upgrading existing 2003 web apps to 2005 web site projects, if web application projects are more appropriate. Thanks for any guidance, Mark Hi.I have exactly the same question, and can't find any information about it.Can anyone help us?Sérgio Also i...

how to tell the project type in .NET? Difference between web application & web site?
Hi, I wonder how can I tell the .NET project type if I got the solution code. Is there any configuration for the project type like: ASP.NET web application, ASP.NET web service application, windows application etc. And is the web site actually a web application project in .NET? Just not clear about the basic concept.   thanks, Hi, in ASP.NET 1.x (visual studio 2002 - 2003) they were real projects but that changed with the initial release of Visual studio 2005 when the concept of website came up. After a while, and quite a lot of asking, Microsoft released the web application pr...

Difference between Web Site project and (NEW) Web application project?
Hi there,i have been reading about the new Web application project (addon) for Visual Studio 2005, all sounds really nice but i just can't put my finger on it...Whats the differences really? And why is  one better than the other?I also read about the Visual studio 2005 Web deployment projects, which from what i can gather allows us to deploy our code like back in 2003 i..e. with a BIN directory  and dll which is the compiled code behind stuff..are these in anyway linked together?Thanks in advacne for any info..Best rregardsIan Have a look here http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...

Ajax error calling Web Service from Web Application Project vs Web Site
I am implementing the code from the Asp.Net Ajax Video Demo “How Do I: Make Client-Side Network Callbacks with ASP.NET AJAX?”  The Web page is generating a javascript error (‘SimpleService’ is undefined) and is unable to recognize the Web service.  The downloaded examples work, however I have created the Demo (both the page and the web service) in a Web Application Project, rather than a Web Site.  The demo uses a Web site.  Because of this the page does not recognize the Web service. To ask the question another way: What needs to be done differently in a Web Service...

Problem in converting Ajax based web site to Ajax based web application project
hi, i faced a problem in converting Ajax based web site project to Ajax based web application project  .i got  build errors of script manager,update panel,update progress whereever i use these controls in my applocation even i have already added all the respective dll files needed for this     In vplayer.designer.cs declaration of class as folllowing way:   public partial class VPlayer { protected System.Web.UI.ScriptManager scriptmanager1; protected System.Web.UI.UpdatePanel UpdatePanel1; protected System.Web.UI.UpdateProgress Updat...

Web Site Project and Web Application Project
I hope someone can help me out with this question.I have been using Web Application Projects and like what it can offer because I am so used to how VS 2003 was structured. I am trying to teach someone the difference between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects, but haven't been able to figure out how to create a new solution that is specific to the Web Site Project structure anymore. I thought when I installed Web Application Projects, I would have the option to switch back and forth between Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects. Is there something I am overlooking when I ...

Web Site Project or Web Application Project?
Hi all, I have a situation here.  My team's project has window and web clients, and we used Team System to control Source Code. We have a contract company that develop the generated codes for some of the web pages that being used in the web client.  They built it using Web Site Project.  We still need to develop some other web pages that has different functionalities than the code generator and one of our team member created a project which is a Web Application Project.  Now, the code generator doesn't work because it won't compile in our Web Application Pro...

Web Application Project/Web Site Project
Hello, I have some couple of questions... 1) How do I know a particular application already built in asp.net is "Web Application Project" or "Web Site Project" ?2) Also I have a application built in ASP.NET and If I open the source code in VS2005, Its giving a message saying this application is built in old version and it should be converted into new version before even using. So should I migrate the application to "Web Application Project" or "Web Site Project" ? . kindly advise..(Note: This application is NOT very big or complex.) Thanks in Advance..Renil. 1)A web application pro...

Convert VB.Net Web Site to Web Application Project
I am working with Visual Studio Pro SP1 and had some problems converting an old VB.Net web site into a VB.Net Web Application Project.  I followed the advice offered here ( http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ), but ran into a...

Difference between Web Application Project and Web Site in VS 2005
Hi There,  Please don't hit me if i ask this basic question - What is the difference between Web Application Project and Web Site in VS 2005?  I usually go ahead with a Website in VS but recently tried the Web Application Project and I saw a properties folder.  What is the use of that section? Anybody with descriptive post or link to a resource, would be of great help to clear the mist in empty head..Siva SenthilMy Share My Discoveryhttp://siva-senthil.stumbleupon.comhttp://del.icio.us/ksivasenthilPlease remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you ...

Convert VB.Net Web Site to Web Application Project
 I am working with Visual Studio Pro SP1 and had some problems converting an old VB.Net web site into a VB.Net Web Application Project.  I followed the advice offered here ( http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx ), but ran into a few kinks when using the process on a VB project.  The Problem:After creating a new Web Application Project, copying in the old files, and running the "Convert to Web Application Project" process, the site would no longer build.  Any classes stored in the "Old_App_Code" folder (previously named...

Web Application Projects vs. Web Site Project- Where is Copy Project?
I have opted to use the Web App Project in 2005 (The 2003 Model)http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspxWhy is the copy project missing when this model is used? It was there in 2003?Thank you,Patrick http://www.SURFThru.com   SURFThru.com I wanted to bump this topic again to see if any Microsoft techs had any input on this item.SURFThru.com...

VS 2005 SP1 + .NET AJAX => automatically adds web.config in nested Web Application Project when opening project or solution
I get a 'Configuration Error' on an aspx page because VS added automatically a web.config to my nested Web Application Project where no web.config file should be. This effect I have noticed since I have installed SP1 and .NET AJAX Extensions. Why is VS 2005 adding the web.config file and how can I disable this behavior? Following is the content of the automatically added web.config file (comments omitted): <?xml version="1.0"?><configuration>    <appSettings/>    <connectionStrings/>    <system.web> &...

Difference Between Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects
....what's the difference? Web App Projects sounds like everythng I want, but what does it do that Web Deployment doesn't? First of all, here are two highly recommended blog posts that you may want to read about Web Application Projects and Web Deployment Projects.  http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/12/07/432630.aspx http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx In a nutshell, a web deployment project is associated with a web site project and is a step that you may want to take before your deploy your application.  You can do post processing on ...

Web resources about - whats difference in web project and web site application - asp.net.ajax-discussion

Would you give up chocolate for better application performance?
Application performance is critical to business performance according to 98 percent of businesses, yet 89 percent of executives say the poor ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 29% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 1.2 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications down 0.2%

Digitimes Research: China touch panel makers increasing investments in niche products and large-size ...
The China International Touchscreen Exhibition (C-Touch) was recently held in Shenzhen, China, featuring a number of local and international ...