Trying to start with the control toolkit in VWD 2008 express and net 3.5

Has anyone else had any problems with this? I can't use the toolkit (can't drag and droop items from it onto design view), VWS08 isn't 'extender aware' as descibed on Joe Stagner's video on 'ASP.NET AJAX Support in Visual Studio 2008' (http://www.asp.net/learn/3.5-videos/video-224.aspx).

 The new AJAX support sounds great, but isn't much use to me if VWD 08 can't do what the full version can.

Cheers

0
dhassen

 I've added ajxcontrolttoolkit controls to the toolbox this way:

- Create a new group in the toolbox

- Drag and drop the ajaxcontroltoolkit.dll from windows explorer to the toolbox (adding the dll as a project reference not populates the toolbox...)

Notes:

- I've just done this for fun, I've never use the designer Smile

- This works in vs 2008 rtm professional, I'm not sure about the express edition.

- Of course we need the vs 2008 version control toolkit

0
stmarti
11/27/2007 2:44:33 PM

 Well I've not done exactly that but I have the controls on my toolbox. It's not that that's the problem - I can't drag them onto the designer and it isn't extender aware, as I mentioned.  Thanks anyway.

There seems to be a 'solution' (well for some people!) on this thread but I get a strange error when I try and load AjaxControlToolkit.csproj

I get an error saying "The Project System Components are not installed on your computer. Please re-install visual studio." great........

I've re-installed but no change. What a nice waste of time so far.................

0
dhassen
11/27/2007 3:25:31 PM

dhassen:
I've re-installed but no change. What a nice waste of time so far.................

I think your express version is simple not support the ajaxcontrol toolkit project type. (This is complex and big project, which has subprojects like a big classlibrary, the complete sample web site etc. I think the express version cannot open a mixed project, I'm not sure. You cannot rebuild the "AjaxControlToolkit.csproj" subproject (because it is a class library, not a web site) with vwd express, your best chance to try the c# express version!)

According to the mentioned thread, this is a bug in the toolkit.

The workaround is simple: forget the designer, add the extender in source view, it's easy...

0
stmarti
11/28/2007 7:51:14 AM

stmarti:

The workaround is simple: forget the designer, add the extender in source view, it's easy...

Fair enough - I just think it's a pain that you have to have a work-around. I wanted to use the VWD version of 2008 to evaluate whether to buy the full version - but intrinsic new features like this aren't there. Shame that, and I know I can download a trial of the full version, I just didn't want to!

Still wondering if other people have had the same problem and managed to get it resolved properly though?

0
dhassen
11/29/2007 10:32:33 AM

Please look at this thread: http://forums.asp.net/t/1184181.aspx For VWD Express you'll need to download C# express to rebuild the toolkit assembly.

Mikhail
11/29/2007 5:34:38 PM

Also, a new version of the Toolkit that fixes the problem was just posted to ajax.asp.net. You can download it from

http://www.codeplex.com/AtlasControlToolkit/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=8513

 Thanks,
Alex

alexgav
11/29/2007 7:47:13 PM

 Thanks for that alex! Just tried it using the new version. Works fine now thanks!

0
dhassen

VWD 2008 Express and AJAX Control Toolkit 3.5 Problems...
Hi, I have installed VWD 2008 Express. I also downloaded AJAX Control Toolkit 3.5 and unzipped it. Now whenever i create a new website and add reference to AJAXControlToolkit.dll under ..\SampleWebSite\Bin, this adds several folders to my solution\bin folder (i understand these are the resource files but i dont need them). Also, I created a new Tab (under toolbox) and added items from the same dll. The controls are added to my tab but when i double click them (in Design View), they are not added to my pages. I have to go into Source View to add the definition for all the AJAX Controls. I d...

error in vwd 2008 express and ajax toolkit 3.5
I installed VWD 2008 and tried opening a website from VWD 2005. I added a new master page and default page and pointed to it as the start page. When I tried to compile, I got this error: Error 102 The type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptManager' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\1.0.61025.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll' and 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll' E:\tfccom.info\nelemmaus\Default.master 1 1 E:\tfccom.info\ I would thi...

Visual Studio 2008 Crash
Hi, Opening a website project initally crashes Visual Studio 2008. It's a Website project with .Net 3.5 with Ajax Toolkit Reopening VS 2008 and clicking again on the Project shows a problem loading open documents. "An error was encountered while opening associated documents the last time this solution was loaded. Document load is being skipped during this solution load in order to avoid that error." Also, clicking on a aspx page also crashes Visual Studio but NOT all the time. I have been able to view the aspx page after multiple tries ( between crash...

VWD 2008 Express AJAX Control Toolkit control named CC1 and ?languages?
This is an abbreviated version of a two day saga.  I hope someone out there can help me. I downloaded AJAX Toolkit (no-source) from codeplex. I unzipped the toolkit to d:\program files\Ajax Control Toolkit. I ran the VSI - it failed, told me to reinstall visual studio. I played with the sample web site for a while and added the gizmos to my toolbox according to the instructions. I tried to run some of the "how do I" AJAX samples with no success. I don't have visual studio, I have VWD 2008 Express, so I re-installed it. I reran the VSI. No error...

Support for dw.NET 2.5 in VS 2008, .NET framework 3.5 and Oracle 10.2g
Hi, I intend to use the datawindow.NET 2.5 in VS 2008 (.NET framework 3.5) using a Oracle 10.2g database as a backend and later using Oracle 11g as backend. Can someone please let me know if the product is supported in the environments mentioned. All help will be highly appreciated and many thanks in advance. Regards Hasan Kasamali On Nov 24, 3:06=A0am, Hasan Kasamali wrote: > Hi, > > I intend to use the datawindow.NET 2.5 in VS 2008 (.NET > framework 3.5) using a Oracle 10.2g database as a backend > and later using Oracle 11g as backend. > > Can ...

ajax 3.5 extensions preview and .NET 3.5
I'm a little bit confused.On one hand you say the AJAX framework is included in .NET 3.5. On the other hand there's an ajax extensions preview which "provides new functionality being added to ASP.NET 3.5 and ADO.NET in 2008." Is the latter like an addon to the .NET 3.5 built-in framework? Out of a developer perspective I would like to know if it is "safe" to develop with the 3.5 extension preview.. and if at any state its functionality is added to the .NET framework. Do I need to install the 3.5 extension preview on my host running IIS, too? Or i...

How Do I Use AJAX and AJAX Control Toolkit In Visual Studio 2008 When Targetting .NET 2.0 Framework?
I have recently converted a lot of Visual Studio 2003 / .NET Framework 1.1 projects to Visual Studio 2008 / .NET Framework 2.0.  I want to be able to use AJAX and AJAX Control Toolkit under Visual Studio 2008 while we target the .NET 2.0 Framework.  Unfortunately, we cannot target .NET Framework 3.5 because we need Windows 2003 Server for that and we only have Windows 2000.  I do not want to use Visual Studio 2005 either.  Is it possible to do what I want given these conditions?You can't stop entropy so why even try? The simple answer is yes.  What pr...

install Ajax toolkit for Net 3.5? who can give me address how ajax install ?video lesson?
hi friends i saw this lesson but i cant find it now. My ajax toolkit broken.. i cant see ajax toolkit. why ? i dont know .. maybe karamasoft :) install Ajax toolkit for Net 3.5? who can give me address how ajax install ?video lesson? cheersMark as me if my question or my answer can be helpful for you :) http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/ EricPascarello.com | Twitter epascarello | LinkedIn...

How to upgrade .net 2.0 to .net 3.5 in vs 2008
Hi, I did not upgrade .net2.0 to .net 3.5 when I first open vs 2008. but, I now want to upgrade it to 3.5. can someone tell me how to do it in vs 2008? where can open the wizard window again to upgrade?thanks. Xiuxian      Hi, All you have to do is open the .sln or project file of VS 2005 in VS2008. File > Open > Solution. The VS 2008 Conversion Wizard will ask you to upgrade. HTH,Suprotim Agarwal  ASP.NET Grid With Excel Capabilities | 27 GridView Tips & Tricks | Hosting your site? | SQL Server Tips I would imagine you could just in...

.Net 3.5 ADO.Net Data Service & Ajax
 Hello, I was trying to use the example in the following video and I keep getting "Server Method "Categories" failed" error. I have .Net 3.5 SP1 and VS 2008, is there any workable example out there? I also added the Entity Data Model. http://www.asp.net/learn/3.5-SP1/video-239.aspx  I really like the way how you can access data in the database using javascript. Any help on this code? thx Default.aspx     <input id="ButtonQuery" type="button" value="Perform Query" onclick="return ButtonQuery_oncli...

Can I switch from .Net 3.5 to .Net 3
After finishing the website that I built in VS 2008 and has AjaxControlToolkit controls. I was informed by the network admin that the server has .Net 3 and that we can't install .Net 3.5. I tried to change the application settings from Property Page --> Build node, and then select .Net Framework 3.0 from Target Framework Dropdownlist, and then click OK BUT then I can't run my application I get error message and the     <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" />   is unknown even when I try ...

Can we replace Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 with Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5
Hi, I have installed vs2008 in C drive and removed it from there  including Microsoft .Net framework 3.5, due to space crunch, then I started installing it in D drive, in this case it did not install .Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 and now it does not show me Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 it shows .NET Compact Framework 3.5 in Add remove program list. My question is will VS2008 work fine with .NET Compact Framework 3.5. apart from it it also has .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 in the list, all what is missing is microsoft .net framework 3.5  Please let me know ...

AJAX Control Toolkit Error on VWD Express 2008
Hello, I got the bits of VWDEE 2008 days ago and I tried to replicate Joe's steps in "ASP.NET AJAX Support in VS2008". I was able to add the AJAX Control Toolkit (ACT) controls onto my toolbox however, the auto detection of extenders for the controls (e.g. the button control and some of its extenders) don't work. Moreover, I can't drag ACT onto the designer. Is this a bug or the auto-detection of extenders is but a feature of the non-express editions? Patrick OliverosWeb Developer  exact same problem here. I've posted a near copy of your post in the AJAX...

Using AJAX toolkit with .NET Framework 3.5
I had a problem getting AJAX Control Toolkit to Work with .NET Framework 3.5 in IIS 7. It showed up in the C# CodeBehind under the namespace {AjaxControlToolkit} because it was globalized by the bin, but as far as using it in the XHTML Markup or even adding it from the CodeBehind where it is listed caused an error. Note: im Using VWD 2008, C#, and .NET 3.5 the Problem was i was using the old version of the Ajax Control toolkit. below is the link to the new version and and shortcut to the how to video. ASP.NET AJAX Support in Visual Studio 2008: http://download.mi...

Web resources about - Trying to start with the control toolkit in VWD 2008 express and net 3.5 - asp.net.ajax-discussion

WA bushfires: Firefighters work through the night to control several blazes
Firefighters in Western Australia are working through the night to control and contain several blazes.

Alaska Marijuana Control Board votes to allow consumption in retail outlets - Alaska Dispatch News
The Alaska Marijuana Control Board voted Friday to allow consumption of marijuana products in retail stores across the state. But social clubs, ...

69 percent of users would bypass security controls to win a big deal
When faced with the chance of clinching a major deal people are willing to throw security controls out of the window. This is according to research ...

MAZEL TOV, HILLARY: Clinton Wins Gun Control Award From Major Anti-Bill of Rights Group
... restrictions on the freedoms protected by the Constitution is not a sign of character, but a clear indication of blind adherence to a gun control ...

Obama to Veto Bill Requiring Background Checks On Syrian Refugees; France Demands Tighter Controls, EU ...
... does not call for ending the refugee program or require religious screenings, as some Republicans have demanded . France Demands Tighter Controls, ...

Brussels Pushes Gun Control In Wake of Paris Attacks
Europeans double down on gun control after terrorists murder defenseless civilians

Control Your HTPC With Scavenged IR Parts
If you’ve built yourself a home theater PC, one of your highest priorities is probably coming up with a convenient control solution. The easiest ...

5 Questions: Punjab’s rightful control over Chandigarh, says Prem Singh Chandumajra
Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal) MP Prem Singh Chandumajra on why he raised the issue of Punjab’s claim over Chandigarh in LS.