General Question on using web services as THE data provider for client-server interaction

Hello there,

I have a general question on the provider model provided within ATLAS.  It looks like we must use web services as the way to populate controls on the client side (asyncronously), as opposed to libraries like Ajax.NET, which concentrate only on the client-server communication but let us invoke code-behind methods as Ajex.NET methods and then return those results asyncronously.

I just wanted to verify that my assumptions are correct here, and just ask why this method is the one method for doing this (although it looks like you can use UpdatePanel controls around server-side controls and the asyncronous communication is abstracted from the developer.)

Thanks for any input you may have.

0
kaczmar2

and welcome to the ASP.NET forums.

If I'm not mistaking you can just put the WebMethod attribute above a method in a normal webform, extension .aspx, instead of using a webservice.

Grz, Kris.

XIII
6/5/2006 4:20:54 PM

hello guys.

As Kris said, you can use the webmethod attribute on any page method: by doing this, you'll be able to call remotely that method. you should also take into account that doing this will generate greater overhead since all the info must be sent back when you invoke the method (ie, all the controls that exist on the form are submitted on the body of the request).

--
Regards,
Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu:
you should also take into account that doing this will generate greater overhead since all the info must be sent back when you invoke the method (ie, all the controls that exist on the form are submitted on the body of the request).

So, it's actually better to use a webservice to have less overhead and less bandwidth usage?

Grz, Kris.

XIII
6/5/2006 6:02:21 PM

hello.

well, it all depends, right? for instance, if you're getting a value of a textbox and want to perform some calculations on it, then i'd probably use a web service method; however, if you need info from all the fields of the page, then you'll probably use a page method (though i really must say that if you're after performance, then you should really be using a web service method )...in my opinion, if you want to use a web page method, then probably you're better with an update panel...

--
Regards,
Luis Abreu
email: labreu_at_gmail.com
EN blog:http://msmvps.com/blogs/luisabreu
0
Luis

Has anyone successfully used a Delphi web service client against an ENCRYPTED WCF web service server?
Has anyone successfully used a Delphi web service client against an ENCRYPTED WCF web service server? Which is to say, of course, that the URL would be starting with https. Anyone? ...

Bind data to the grid at the client side using AJAX call to web service
With the Current AJAX Tool kit is there a way to databound the grid at the client side.  Basically I want to make a WCF web service all and get the JSON message and populate the grid at the cient side. I am using Visual studio 2005 with .NET frame work 3.0. Please point out if tehre are any examples. I truly appreciate any help regarding this. Thanks I hope this article will help you. http://www.aspdotnetcodes.com/Ajax_ModalPopup_PostBack_GridView.aspxMarking a Reply as 'Answered', not only GAIN us some POINTS, but it also HELP others to find RIGHT solution. Thanks for the...

Troubleshoot Web Service; Ajax AutoComplete events do not appear to not fire; Ajax web service appears to not work. .NET
Folks, I had the situation that Ajax AutoComplete events in the web service did not fire after I copied a project out of a folder, renamed it and moved it to a server. The fix was hard to find but easy to solve. I had some web service modules in an ASMX file that provided AutoComplete entries -- i.e., after the user keys in 2 or 3 characters, the list of possible entries with those leading characters is displayed for the user to select. To solve the problem, look at the web service's directive, not the code-behind or the ASMX designer.  Do a right-mouse-click...

Consuming Web service from .net 3.5 web application using ajax
Hi , Before in .net 2005 ,I use to consume the  web service from client side via Ajax and java script. that's just adding web service inside the script manger services.But  it was not possible with .net 2008 version WEB APPLICATION   , Even it works well with .net 2008 web sites. Please help me to solve the issue. I have no idea what you mean. Please post the code that "does not work". NC...   I have the same problem.  I have a .NET 3.5 Web Application not Web Site.  I fully qualify the web service with the namespace i,e,  &n...

Cannot call a web service from java script using ajax in .net 3.5 web applications
As like 2005 .net websites i tried to consume a web service from client side java script  using Ajax script manager in  .net 3.5 (2008) version web application it was not working, Event it works with 3.5 web sites, What i have to do to solve the issue. Thanks in advance Hi, can you create the least amount of code to reproduce it and post it? This gives us the ability to check out your code and better guide you. Also please check out this article: Create a Simple WCF Web Service and Use In JavaScript With Visual Studio 2008 and .Net 3.5.  Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Fire...

Can i setup endpoints in my web config so i can call my wfc ajax web service from both the client and the server?
I am having trouble setting up a webHTTPbinding endpoint and a wsHTTPbinding endpoint on the same site so i can call my web services from the client or server.  Seems to work fine i chose one or the other, has anyone else tried to do this?  Thanks for any help. Wayne...

send data from web service to local computer, using web services.
hii have a web application, on web server , and a database on my local computer in my office.i want to send data from my web pages to my local database.i think one way is using web services.i used that, but it has permission errors.that web service have this error :  Server Error in '/in' Application. Compilation Error Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: BC30180: Keyword does not name a type.Source Err...

How to use a web service from a non .net provider?
I use .net framework and what I do usually is add a web reference that includes the asmx file. Now the provider doesn’t use .net and I don’t know how to use the service. I have the address of the service, I have the soap action (method) and I have the WSDL. Any help is appreciated. Please don't post the same question in multiple places, without waiting to see if it's answered the first place you posted it. I answered this on the MSDN forum. The answer, for those reading it here is to specify the location of the WSDL to "Add Web Reference".John Saunders | MVP – Connected ...

web service client when server uses ssl
Dear guys I have a web service which will use ssl certificate. my client application is written in vc++ and atl library. what shall I do in client side concerning ssl? could you please give a link? Thanks Only keeping this post alive. I hope somebody can give me a link, an article to start. how to deal with ssl in client side of web service. Thanks Hi Here is a sample class library which illustrates how to connect to a HTTPS server: Connecting to a HTTPS server with SSL using Wininet http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/wininet_ssl___certificate.aspx Hope it helpsThis response contain...

problem in using java web services from .net client
I am trying to make a .net client for a java web service made using JAX-WS 2.0 . Actually the web service maintains session of the client. Well i did create a client from java and it worked. But i am having problem in consuming the web service from .net client. According to the specification of that web service i have to set the SESSION_MAINTAIN_PROPERTY of the BindingProvider true to indicate whether or not the client wants to participate in session with service endpoint. It is done in java client in following way:Hello proxy = new HelloService()...

How to interact with data on server by using a non-browser client?
Hello, I am writing some simple (or so I thought) software on a PDA that will be able to update data on a server as well as retrieve data from the said server. Only catch is I will not be using an internet browser. The program will read data from a text file and automatically update a webpage [at the press of a button]. So when the webpage is accessed again, the new data can be seen. I've research on ASP.NET/VB.NET and all the data-accessing techniques I have seen involve using text fields and buttons on a website to enter and update data. I haven't seen anything function that allows m...

How to use a ColdFusion client to a WSE .NET web service?
How to use a ColdFusion client to a WSE .NET web service? thanks...

Web resources about - General Question on using web services as THE data provider for client-server interaction - asp.net.ajax-discussion

Client/Server Runtime Subsystem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
, is a component of the Windows NT family of operating systems that provides the user mode side of the Win32 subsystem and is included in Windows ...

From client-server to cloud: SaaS evolution
Explaining the ongoing evolution from client-server to cloud-native, source of much confusion and misdirection when comparing SaaS offerings ...

Quanta, Wiwynn see more orders from server clients for 2016
Quanta Computer and Wiwynn, a server subsidiary of Wistron, are expected to land more cloud server orders from their clients in 2016 as Internet ...

KeyLemon Client-Server Architecture Designed for Biometric Apps
The architecture supports Android and iOS, with a back end for Linux and Windows that can be deployed on servers located on a customer’s premise. ...

Why client-server must die
Old models of computing always tend to linger too long, but client-server was based on a fallacy and needs to go away sooner rather than later ...

Linux evangelists: Every time you build a client-server app, the Internet dies a little bit
Everyone's bullish about the future of open-source software in the business world at this year's LinuxCon in New Orleans, as IBM announces a ...

MrWoohoo comments on Client server database is what??
For some reason this reminds me of [Roy Orbison in clingfilm....](http://michaelkelly.artofeurope.com/orb1.htm) *It always starts the same way. ...

Red Hat CEO announces a shift from client-server to cloud computing
Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols / ZDNet : Red Hat CEO announces a shift from client-server to cloud computing — Summary: In other words, Red Hat is ...

Mobile devices bring back that old client-server feeling
... tempted to point out the language redundancy (any place, anywhere), then you are probably not old enough to remember the birth of client-server ...

Building for the Internet of things (and the demise of the client-server model)
Developers, listen up: Everything you’re doing now is about to become irrelevant. Especially when it comes to clients, servers, and end-user ...