Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does n

Hello All,

If this is a repeat of posting that have been created, I sincerely apologize.  I have been looking for a solution for quite some time and although I have run across a lot of different posts offering solutions, nothing seems to be work.

Here is my dilemma:

I have created a website with several pages using ASP.NET 2.0 and AJAX Extensions (including the AJAX Control Toolkit).  The pages run fine on my Development machine but on my IIS machine, I continue to recreate a Parser Error in regard to System.Web.Extensions.

Here is what I have done thus far:

I have an XP machine running IIS.

  1. I have ASP.NET 2.0 installed as well as the AJAX Extensions.
  2. I have tried copying the dlls into the bin folder.
  3. I have tried restarting IIS.
  4. I have tried changing the PublicKeyToken to all caps.
  5. I have tried modifying my Web.Config (per a few websites)

Here is the exact error that I am seeing:

Parser Error
Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Source Error:

Line 1:  <%@ Master Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="MasterPage.master.cs" Inherits="MasterPage" %>
Line 2:  <%@ Register Assembly="AjaxControlToolkit" Namespace="AjaxControlToolkit" TagPrefix="cc1" %>
Line 3:  <%@ Register Assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
Line 4:      Namespace="System.Web.UI" TagPrefix="asp" %>
Line 5:

Source File: /MasterPage.master    Line: 3

Any suggestions on what I can try next?

0
Coffmans

either install the Ajax addin on the server or manually include the System.Web.Extenstions.dll in your BIN folder for copying to the server.

0
Curt_C
9/17/2007 2:00:27 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I have installed the AJAX Extensions on the XP machine (server).  When this failed to eliminate the error, I then copied the System.Web.Extensions dll to the BIN folder under wwwroot, where the website is located.  Neither have eliminated the error.

0
Coffmans
9/17/2007 2:03:27 PM

'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0?????

 Why are using .NET 3.5 extensions for a .NET 2.0 project. That's going to hurt you....

Look at your web.config file and compare it to the default one located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions\v1.0.61025.

And as well right click on your System.Web.Extensions DLL you are using to check that it is version

1.0.61025.0

 Wray

P.S. I assume you did install only the 1.0 RTM version of Ajax and that you don't need to uninstall futures you don't need to clean up anything upset by them.

0
wrayx1
9/17/2007 2:30:42 PM

Wow, in my hurry to research the error, I didn't take notice that it was using 3.5 framework.  I didn't even realize that 3.5 had been installed on any of my machines.  I will take a look and see why it is using 3.5.  Thanks!

0
Coffmans
9/17/2007 3:18:24 PM

 Maybe you are pre-compiling in a VS2008 machine.

You can solve that problem by running a microsoft script that disable the AjaxPolicy.

After that you only have to re-precompile the project and load the new dll generated in your bin directory.

This fix the problem. You can find that script here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700831.aspx

 P.S.

After that, your project will work properly on the webserver because him uses the previous version of the assemby but on your machine you will maybe find other problems: the pages that uses that assembly without specify the version number will fail with an error message about that assembly.

To solve that problem you have to reference the assembly in the pages specifying the version number in this way

Example:--------------------------------

<%@ Register Assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
    Namespace="System.Web.UI" TagPrefix="asp" %>

ITALIANO:

Il problema è causato da una "incompleta" installazione di VS2008. Microsoft infatti consiglia, dopo l'installazione, l'esecuzione di uno script che si trova qui (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700831.aspx ) e permette di disabilitare AjaxPolicy; il che è indispensabile per non interferire negativamente nella pre-compilazione di progetti scritti in aspnet 2.0 ajax.

Dopo l'esecuzione di tale script è sufficiente ricompilare il progetto e copiare le dll appena generate nella directory bin sul webserver.

Ora tutto ok sul webserver perché lui usa la precedente versione dell'assembly ma potreste incontrare altri problemi sulla vostra macchina in fase di debug.

Se doveste avere errori relativi allo stesso assembly, controllate bene di aver referenziato correttamente l'assembly nelle pagine che ne fanno uso.

Esempio:

<%@ Register Assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
    Namespace="System.Web.UI" TagPrefix="asp" %>

Dario Iacampo

0
JackNova
10/5/2007 12:34:45 PM

Thanks, JackNova, that fixed my problem, too!

If my post is your answer, please mark it as the answer. It will bring good karma.

Crystal Alliance
My Blog
Florist Blogs
0
rjdudley
10/22/2007 3:52:37 PM

i found a way to take care of this... but... im a little curious.. i have vs2008 installed and obviously 3.5 installed but im using my copy of VS2005 and i did a new ajax project and it is for some reason assuming its a 3.5 project.. is this part of the ajax install or did 3.5 sink its claws in too deep?

 Justin

0
jrich523
10/26/2007 6:19:04 PM

hello.

there are some issues that might make you get into problems. I've written a small post here about it:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/luisabreu/archive/2007/10/26/deployment-problems-with-asp-net-ajax-applications.aspx

--
Regards,
Luis Abreu

'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference
I have seen many posts with this problem, but not one I found actually makes it clear to me how to solve it. The site is build with VS2008, and deploying it using VS2008 to my server works fine. Both my server and my development PC have ASP.NET 3.5 installed. I now have to deploy this web to a server that has ASP.NET 1, 1.1 and 2 (no 3.0, no 3.5). I copied the  the System.Web.Extensions.dll I found on the server to my bin directory (overwriting the one that came from my server). -> same error  The error is on line 95 of my web.config : 94   <httpModules>...

Unable to create type 'live:IDLoginStatus'. Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The s
Hello,  I try to use a windowslive website in visual studio 2008 with framework 3.5 I have installed the framework 3.5 and i get following error although the site is working perfect in localhost: Unable to create type 'live:IDLoginStatus'. Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.After this i check my gac and i manually (with configuration tool 2.0) installed 3.6 in my gac. I still get the same error. What am i doing ...

coplilation error : Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the fi
I have problem compiling my website on 2 machine(win 2003 server & windows vista). The problematics machines has these components installed: 1.Net framework 3.5 sp1 2.vs 2008 sp1 ver: 9.0.30729.1 sp 3.windows sdk for vs 2008 sp1 It works grate on 3 different machines (xp,2003) that has the same components installed and the Microsoft ASP.NET 3.5 Extension CTP. I can't install the Microsoft ASP.NET 3.5 Extension CTP because I already have the .net 3.5 sp1 installed. Here is my web.config ...

Could not load file or assembly 'AjaxControlToolkit, Version=1.0.10618.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=28f01b0e84b6d53e' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does
Hi, We just upgraded our application to .Net 3.5 from .Net 2.0. I updated the ajaxcontroltoolkit.dll to the corresponding version for .net 3.5 but we are getting the following error: "Could not load file or assembly 'AjaxControlToolkit, Version=1.0.10618.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=28f01b0e84b6d53e' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)"  I tried to work around this using bindingredirect as following, but this did not solve the problem as I am stil...

Could not load type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptReferenceBase' from assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'.
on my localhost, everything is working just fine, developing a few hours... then i publish to another server (windows server 2003)...and suddenly my website is broken. i could track i down to a scriptreference in my scriptmanager - which used to work perfectly.now i don't know where it went wrong - because i developed several things, including the addition of autocomplete textbox with the control toolkitbut even after removing all the code for the autocomplete textbox, the problem wasn't solved. i seem to be the first one to have this problem, because google doesn't return anythi...

mvctoolkit Assembly 'MVCToolkit, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' uses 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' which has a high
I have visual studio 2008 SP 1 .I created a new MVC Web Project and added a reference to the MVCToolkit dll.I tried to build and it shows following exception Error    5    Assembly 'MVCToolkit, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' uses 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' which has a higher version than referenced assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'    f:\MVC\MVCProjects\MyFirstMVCApplicati...

Error 25 Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file s
Hi there,   I am just trying to learn AJAX at the moment and have run into a problem. I have copied over the example for cascading dropdowns and this is where I have the above error.The error occurs in the web.config file on this line <add assembly="Microsoft.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>  Can anyone advise what I need to change? The sample is for old ajax version. you need to copy latest ASP.NET AJAX web.config to your projects web.config below is my cascading code for new version for you  ASPX &l...

Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
hello i am getting this error in my application...i used ajax in web site..please help me Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.Source Error: Line 30: <compilation...

Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified
I have downloaded the Ajax Control Toolkit Website Project. I want to run on Visual Studio 2005. But when I run the project I got the error like  Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified . </system.web>     <httpModules>        <add name="ScriptModule" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neu...

Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. #2
Hi, i copied the solution folder   and put this folder to another  computer and i try to run it show the error message " Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified." Please guide me very urgent.Regards,Kannandesikan You need to install the ASP.NET AJAX extensions on the web server. ...

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
AAAARGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH.....Ok, the error has been seen quite often...I've checked a lot of forums and all they seem to provide as a solution is to uninstall everything and make sure the latest dll's are in the bin directory of my website.Here are the files in my bin directory:AjaxControlToolkit.dll version: 1.0.61214.0AjaxControlToolkit.pdb version: AJAXExtensionsToolbox.dll version: 1.0.61025.0System.Web.Extensions.Design.dll version: 1.0.61025.61025System.Web.Extensions.dll version: 1.0.61025.61025Now, I've done exactly that! and checked all the versions but still the error remains....Below...

Why do I get this error: "Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot f
I downloaded a reputed sample project and cant get it started because I am getting this error: Error 2 Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. D:\bills system\Bills Desktop\test\Dashboard\src\Dashboard\web.config 46  What can I do?  You need to install AJAX extensions for asp.net 2.0. You can get it here:http://www.asp.net/ajax/ Which version of Visual Studio are you using? If you are not us...

Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Hi, I am using VS2008 and .net 3.5, #. i m trying to access default.aspx in the browser and it shows the error as "Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."   Also when i use any of the Ajaxcontrol toolkit tools, i m getting the these kind of errors. I hav copied the ajaxcontroltoolkit.dll and .pdb in the bin folder. but i m getting the same error. Please help me.  I will  be grateful if anyone can send me the co...

Could not load type 'System.Web.UI.Compatibility.CompareValidator' from assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'.
 Hello everyone.i m facing Required field validators problem  with ajax.Validators works fine in my application when it runs  frm localhostBut when I deployed the application on server it stops working.the thing i was missing  <tagMapping> tag.  <tagMapping>        <add tagType="System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompareValidator" mappedTagType="System.Web.UI.Compatibility.CompareValidator, System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>   &n...

Web resources about - Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does n - asp.net.ajax-discussion