I can add a property just fine, but I can't 'Edit'

Here is my dilemma.  Our company has three levels of user - Exec, Staff, and Nonperson (i.e. an account that represents a role and not an individual - such as 'administrator').

Currently this information is in nested groups - i.e. there is an 'Exec' group that contains 'ny-exec' and 'la-exec', etc.
I wrote a script that set the 'employeeType' attribute for members of one of these groups. This code worked fine, here is a snippet:

Dim type As String = IIf(exec.Checked, "Executive", "Staff")
Dim individual As DirectoryEntry = root
'Root is the person's DE from a higher level function
individual.AuthenticationType = AuthenticationTypes.Secure
'user and pass are valid for an administrator of the domain
individual.Username = user
individual.Password = pass
individual.Properties("employeeType").Add(type)

The employeeType attribute gets set properly
However, when I try to update this feature, by replacing the bolded line above with:
individual.Properties("employeeType").value=type

I get the following error:The Active Directory datatype cannot be converted to/from a native DS datatype
Anyone have any advice?

Check out my blog - Silly Name, Smart Solutions
0
yonah
8/13/2003 6:41:45 PM
asp.net.active-directory-ldap 2291 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Not sure what you are passing in for the 'type' variable in your code.  The attribute 'employeeType' is of Unicode String, so make sure you are passing a string there.  Instead of setting the .Value, try the following and it should fix it for you:

if(individual.Properties.Contains("employeeType"))
{
individual.Properties("employeeType")(0) = type
}

Ryan Dunn
Weblog
The Book
LDAP Programming Help
0
dunnry

Can't add users to CC list because they can't edit the product
I've just found that I can't add some users as CC on a bug, apparently beca= use they can't edit the Product. I know they can't edit it. That's fine. I just want to add them as CC on the bug. The bug's visibility has been changed so that they can see it (Read-only ac= cess). Can anyone tell me why not being able to edit it is stopping them being add= ed as CCs? Surely that's not relevant ? Uncertainly, Richard. Richard Kerry Colledia Control Engineer Siemens IT Solutions and Services Ltd Room 457 Drama Building, BBC Television Centre, Wo...

Can't allocate space for object '' in database 'tempdb',How can I do?
when I run system procedure,I got following messages : Can't allocate space for object '' in database 'tempdb' because the 'system'segment is full. If you ran out of space in syslogs, dump the transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to increase the size of thesegment. Failed to allocate disk space for a work table in database 'mydb'. You may be able to free up space by using the DUMP TRANsaction command, or you may want to extend the size of the database by using the ALTER DATABASE command. thanks. allan wrot...

Can't base report on stored procedure--'Can't create Datawindow'
I installed IM65 today to give it a try. I made a db config to our local ASE 11.9.2 engine via Sybase' odbc driver that came with 11.9.2. I start a new report, tell it to be tabular and to get data from a SP. It asks which SP and I tell it. The result is an odbc error: Cannot create DataWindow Intersolv SQL ODBC driver: Incorrect syntax near '='. 1 execute dbo.sp_si_addressbest_;0 RETURN_VALUE = :RETURN_VALUE' I can execute the SP fine from SQL Advantage or from Crytal Reports. Thanks. -- Frank Burleigh Indiana University School of Law Bloomi...

Why can't change transaction object property 'Autocommit' to 'true'
I create a component in Jaguar CTS 3.5 the component create a datastore, and connect using transaction object, but I have to change the transaction object property 'autocommit' from "false" to "true", but it doesn't work......the property is still "false", can anybody tell me why? thanks a lot! Because you should never touch this. Since EAS is likely starting a transaction it is resetting this. You should look into the documentation on how EAS manages transactions. Dave Wolf Internet Applications Division "michael" ...

Can't find EDM wizard (can't add ADO.NET Entity Data Model)
I'm having trouble getting started with EDM.  I'm ultimately trying to experiment with ASP.NET Data Services.  I have never installed any ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions CTPs.  However, I have installed VS2008 SP1 Beta1 and .NET 3.5 SP1 Beta 1.  Based on the list of features in SP1 Beta 1 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8C36ACA4-E947-4760-9B05-93CAC04C6F87&displaylang=en ) I believe I should have both EDM support and Data Services support. When I try to add a new item to my VS2008 project, ADO.NET Entity Data Model is not in the list.&nb...

Can't terminate an application in the 'except' portion of a 'try..except' [Edit]
I'm a long time Delphi 5 user, recently switched to Delphi XE... and I'm having trouble getting a program to terminate if an exception is raised. Here's the code: procedure TForm1.FormCreate(Sender: TObject); begin try DFCom.Open except showmessage('Invalid Com Port number'); application.Terminate; end; end; In this code, 'DFCom' is an async serial port device. If the exceptino occurs, I want to notify the user via the 'showmessage' mechanism, and then abort the program. When I run this (with an invalid port number assigned to...

Again with the 'reset' and 'can't be found' stuff...
Name: William Jones Email: jbillyjonesatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Again with the 'reset' and 'can't be found' stuff... Comments: Hello Again FireFox, Listen...I'm just a simple guy, a 'dial-up baby boomer' who's had to learn the hard way all the way through. I recently sent a similar e-mail requesting assistance with this ridiculous and incessant 'pop up' that informs me that 'my connection has been reset', and/or, 'a problem locating page'....huh? I was just on the damn thing and even switching from one ...

Can't edit text in the 'Basic text Box' OR 'Rich Text Editor'
have, DNN 3.0.13 installed on Windows server 2003have tried sitting at the server and on a workstationI first tried to edit the text on the home page, the text editor shows up but it is empty/blank, I couldn't put my cursor in the text area and type anything.I have also tried to create a new page and try to edit a text area, same problem.....I have also tried to use the events module and tried to add an event, same problem...PS. preview in not on.Thanks in advance, Peter What browser are you using?Are you using a custom skin?Icthus TechnologiesBuilding Faith on the Internet Im havi...

Can't add server to tree/can't remove server.
I don't know where to start in this saga. I was merrily installing SP5 to my treee with 4 OES netware servers(all with SP4) when the second one hung because it couldn't expand a zip file. Maybe I could have recovered at that point but there was no indication that it was bacause of low disk space or anything like that. I decided to down the server (only used for NDPS printing, about 15 printers, Not that much to rebuild) Cleaned up the tree, rebuilt the server, did my DS maintenance, Could not install new server into tree. Several attempts, lots of maintenance, no success...

Web resources about - I can add a property just fine, but I can't 'Edit' - asp.net.active-directory-ldap