Active Directory & SQL list of users with managers and managers with users

I have been tasked with some authentication/access items and know there is an easy way to do this within AD but don't know where to start.  What I have set up is a OU called Test Users within an OU called Sales within our main domain.  Within the OU=Test Users there are several security groups having as many as 100 or as little as one person in them.  The goup names are Manager, Regional Mgr, Sales Reps.  A Sales Rep can have a Regional Mgr and a Regional Mgr has a Manager.  There are some cases where a Sales Rep does not have a Regional Mgr and then is associated back to a Manager.  I have utilized the fields within AD to relate a user to a manager and can draw the information out of an LDAP query within SQL but want to utilize the parent/child relationship.  In fact if this could be set up with a function or stored procedure within SQL this would be even better.  Is there a specific command, tool, script I could use to say "this Manager has these Regional Mgr's and these Sales Reps associated with them"?  Or would I go the other way around saying this Sales Rep/Regional Mgr has this Manager associated with them?

Thanks for the help!

  • domain
    • Sales Reps
      • Test Users
        • Manager
        • Regional Mgr
        • Sales Rep

View Brenden Kehren's profile on LinkedIn
Remember to mark as answer if this post answered your question.
0
b471code3
12/4/2007 12:12:07 PM
asp.net.active-directory-ldap 2291 articles. 0 followers. Follow

User Managment for WORKGROUPS, or Without using LDAP & Active Directory.
Hello Guys, I am very new to this forum objective. here i have one query which is related to the Windows User Management (e.g. User Creation, Resetting Password's, unlocking the user etc.) I am creating a console which will be used to monitor & administer the Windows. now my host server & destination servers are in WORKGROUP, so i am not able to communicate with this server using Active Directory or LDAP for user management.To get the information i am using WMI.As per my knowledge, we can use ACTIVE Directory or LDAP only within domain. So, to resolve this what ...

Usering Active directory for role management
Greetings,Following some walkthroughs, I was able to get my login control to authenticate logins through Active Directory.   I am now trying to get it to also manage roles through active directory, and haven't been successful.I followed the walkthrough here:http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/paght000018.aspAfter doing that, I appear to have a working role management system.   I can add roles, and add active directory members to roles.   These roles are working fine with <allow> and <deny> tags etc.  ...

Return All Users with User Groups from Active Directory with LDAP
Hello.  I am trying to write a report that pulls information in from Active Directory.  I have a view created that gets a listing of users and a view that creates a listing of user groups, but I can't seem to figure out how to get all user groups that are associated with the users.  This is what I have. SELECT     *FROM         OPENQUERY(ADSI, 'SELECT objectSid, samAccountName, distinguishedName FROM ''LDAP://wmdomain.local''WHERE objectClass = ''User''')    ...

Is there a way to authenticate Active Directory users from multiple Active Directory Domains
Is there a way to authenticate Active Directory users from multiple Active Directory Domains in ASP.NET Application using C# or VB.NET?Suppose I have a LoginId "user1" from one of the three Active Directory Domains how can I authenticate it?I have two Active Directory domains. I can authenticate from the Active Directory Domain where my current system Account is logged in. But I can not authenticate from other Active Directory Domains. Actually I have 2 Active Directory domains in my LAN.Kamran ShahidSr. Software Engineer(MCP,MCAD.net,MCSD.net,MCTS,MCPD.net[web])Netprosys Inc.ww...

How to check the username with active directory and fetch the user details from the active directory?
I have a textbox with a submit button.When the admin types the username in the textbox and submits it has to check with active directory and fetch the firstname and last name of the user entered inthe textbox.How will i do this one.Code is appreciated. you will find lot of samples if you search for "ActiveDirectory using .NET" but here is a verysimple code and it works too:-) strLANID = "ADDomainName\user"           Dim dservices As New System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry        ...

Active Directory user management with web application
Hi, Does anyone know a good webbased application for managing Active Directory (W2000)? Kind Regards,ThaYoung1! Novell has a C#-LDAP library available: http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/cooldev/features/a_net_cplus_ldap_library_cdev.htmlDarrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you!...

Net::LDAP, Active Directory and Disabled Users
------_=_NextPart_001_01C386CB.502F3B30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I've been trying to write a simple perl script that will query the = active directory via LDAP and give me a list of email addresses for disabled = users (eg, addresses we don't want to accept email for anymore). I found a = website or two that suggested I use the following as my filter: (&(objectCategory=3Dperson)(userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=3D= 2)) I was beginning to think these websites were wrong as whene...

RE: Net::LDAP, Active Directory and Disabled Users
Version of Perl:=20 5.8.0 (as supplied with RedHat9) Version of Net::LDAP: [jsteenha@jake utilities]$ perl -mNet::LDAP -e 'print = "$Net::LDAP::VERSION\n"' 0.29 Relevant part of Perl code: #!/usr/bin/perl use Net::LDAP; use Net::LDAP::Filter; $filter =3D = '(&(objectCategory=3Dperson)(userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=3D= 2))'; #$filter =3D '(objectCategory=3Dperson)'; $f =3D new Net::LDAP::Filter; $f->parse($filter); $f->print(); #exit; my $ldap =3D Net::LDAP->new('acutex-dc01'); my $mesg =3D $...

Role Manager unable to find any Active Directory Users
Hello,I've just converted my intranet website from Forms Authentication to Windows Integrated Authentication. I now want to add Windows User Accounts to the various Roles which already exist. When I use the ASP.NET Website Administration Tool to search for a Usename to add to a Role, however, it cannot find any. Is there something I need to do before the Admin tool can query Active Directory?André Not really sure how you would go about it...since you have set Authentication as Windows ....  You might need to setup ActiveDirectoryMemberhip Provider in your web.config....For using ...

Net::LDAP, Active Directory and Disabled Users #2
I've been trying to write a simple perl script that will query the active directory via LDAP and give me a list of email addresses for disabled users (eg, addresses we don't want to accept email for anymore). I found a website or two that suggested I use the following as my filter: (&(objectCategory=person)(userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2)) I was begining to think these websites were wrong as whenever I tried this filter, I'd go no results. With other filters, I'd get the results I'd expect to get. I then tried that filter in a couple other appli...

Active Directory user home directory
Hi all. I have a question, how to sync home directorires of users from Identity Vault to Active Directory? Into AD there are 2 LDAP attributes calleds homeDrive (the network drive letter) and homeDirectory that is the network path used to map during user login. My doubt is about the eDirectory volume information. The volume will be not sync to the AD because AD does not recognize this information, right? So, how to sync? I was thinking about create 2 eDirectory attributes where I can write theese informations. What do you think about this? Anyone can help me? Best regards...

Active directory groups are not listed for a user (at times ) using LDAP
Hi All, I am using LDAP to get active directroy groups for a given user.  I am able to see the AD gorups list some times. But it is not consistent.  Some times I get empty list. If any one can help in this regard, It would be great. If you have any other way of getting AD groups Please let me know.  This is the code I am using Public Shared Function GetADUserGroups(ByVal UserName As String) As String Dim grouplist As New StringBuilder() Dim result As SearchResult Dim groupcount As Integer = 0 Dim counter As Integer = 0 Dim pos As Integer Dim search As New Dire...

List of users from Active Directory?
Can someone please tell me how to get a listing of users and their user account numbers (in string type, or easily convertible to string type) from active directory? Sample code would be nice. I've googled this already with no success; lot's of code that claims to do it, none that I have been able to get to work. Thanks!  With this code, you can search an active directory create a list of usernames, if you need more propertys,build a struct, and fill a list with this structs. DirectoryEntry domain1; DirectorySearcher searcher1; List<string> li...

List Users from Active Directory
When i try to List the users from Active directory, i get this exception. Error while processing.System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80072020): An operations error occurred at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail) at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind() at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_AdsObject() at System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher.FindAll(Boolean findMoreThanOne) at System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher.FindAll() The code i used is :DirectoryEntry de = new DirectoryEntry(_path);DirectorySearcher deSe...

Web resources about - Active Directory & SQL list of users with managers and managers with users - asp.net.active-directory-ldap

Wikipedia:Quick directory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page is a handy directory to various locations of interest in Wikipedia. Only dynamic pages should be listed here, no policy pages etc. ...

Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Business Directory Listings: Eight Smart Tips for You to Get Started
If you are considering a business directory listing for your small business, congratulations – you are on the right track. Local SEO, local customers, ...

LinkedIn Lookup iOS app aims to replace your company’s awful intranet employee directory
... continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "LinkedIn Lookup iOS app aims to replace your company’s awful intranet employee directory" ...

Atlas Partner Directory Launched
... just for Facebook and Instagram –advertising platform Atlas has one, as well. On that note, Atlas Tuesday introduced the Atlas Partner Directory ...

The British Library’s ‘Save Our Sounds’ Program Creates Directory of UK Sound Collections
The long-feared deterioration of the world's sound collections is a coming to a head with the British Library's last-ditch initiative called ...

Amazon brings Microsoft users into AWS with Active Directory service
Amazon has launched an AWS Directory Service for Active Directory , a fully managed implementation of Microsoft's authentication and user management ...

Researchers find way to steal Windows Active Directory credentials from the Internet
The technique could enable attackers to attack Windows servers hosted in the cloud

NorthPark at 50: Store directory from mall’s 1965 opening is a blast from the past
Grab a glass of wine, get on the phone with your best girlfriend from high school and check out this original map/directory of NorthPark Center. ...

Azure Active Directory Enables One-Step MDM in Windows 10
DAILY VIDEO: Microsoft enables one-step MDM in Windows 10; IRS breach more extensive than first reported; Georgia Tech finds 11 deep security ...