Querying exception error: Must use an updateable query.

Hi,

I initially built some asp.net (vb.net) applications for querying Access databases and doing record related actions and I had them all working using the WebMatrix server on my PC.
Now, I am using IIS to make the services available over a broder arena (Intranet for now), and I am getting an error message when I attempt to perform action queries (select queries are working just fine.
The error I am getting is:
Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Operation must use an updateable query.
Source Error:
Line 292:
Line 293: txtDate.text = strSQL
Line 294: objCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
Here is the relevant code:

Sub btnUpdate_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
' IF user clicks to enter a Accomodation but enters no new value then default to "No accomodation entered" status
if strcomp(txtAccomodationsDescription.text,"Write Description Here") = 0 then
txtDisabilityAccomodations.text = "False"
end if
Dim myconnection As New oledbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;data source=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Career_Start\Career_Start.mdb")
myconnection.Open()

dim strSQL as string = "UPDATE Quarterly_Employer_Table2 SET Industry_of_Employment ='" & txtIndustry.text & _
"',Employer_Name = '" & txtEmployerName.text & "', Accomodations='" & txtDisabilityAccomodations.text & _
"', Accomodations_Description='" & txtAccomodationsDescription.text & "' WHERE Participant_ID = '" & txtParticipantID.text & "' AND Project_Site ='" & txtPrjSiteCode.text & "'"

Dim objCommand as OleDbCommand
objCommand = New OleDbCommand(strSQL, myconnection)

objCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
End Sub

Any suggestions on this is most appreciated.
Mike
0
mparker1113

You need to give the account '<machinename>\ASPNET' write privileges to the folder and the Access database.
Regards

Andre Colbiornsen
---------------------------------
Seventh Day
Råbygatan 1A,
SE-223 61 Lund
Sweden
Mob.: +46-(0)708-97 78 79
Mail: info@seventhday.se
--------------------------------
0
adec
8/31/2004 6:27:28 PM
Might I please inquire as to how I would do that?

0
mparker1113
8/31/2004 6:33:11 PM
The pinned post and followups at the top of this forum have all this information and more - - -

In Windows 2K:
(Go into Accessories/Computer Management/Local Users & Groups/users You will see that there's an ASPNet user. )
Right click on the directory where your database is - choose properties - Then the security tab - then click on permissions.
Add the ASPNet user to the shared section
Then, make sure it has 'Change' rights -
Click Apply and you should be working fine then.

David Wier
MCP/ASPInsider
ASPNet101.com - where to look first!
augustwind
8/31/2004 6:54:47 PM
"You need to give the account '<machinename>\ASPNET' write privileges to the folder and the Access database."

I am not sure how to give specific permissions to the folder where the Access database resides.
I right clicked on the folder and chose properties, and all permissions seem to exist in there.
I did similar actions in the IIS manager, but found no way to set permissions for asp.net.
Am I way off base on this?
0
mparker1113

error updating excel spreadsheet using vb.net
I have written an application to handle invoices.  At the end of the process, they can print the voucher out as an excel spreadsheet.  It has been working and I have moved the application to production. I can't get the spreadsheet to update.  I get this error.  Operation must use an updateable query excel spreadsheet using vb.net  I think it is some sort of permission issue or something to do with the jet engine but I have tried everything I can think of. This generally means that the ASPNet user does not have the correct ("change") permissions to sav...

Operation must use an updateable query error when using Access db
I am developing an ASP .NET application at work (Windows 2000 Pro, Access 2000) and have been taking a copy of it home to test. When I run the application at home (Windows XP Pro, Access XP) I can log into the app and display DataGrids, which means I can read data in tables. If I try to update data in a table I get a "Operation must use an updateable query" error. As far as I know, the IIS is configured the same on the two machines. The only differences are the operating systems and the version of MS Access. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Regards, Jim Bonacorda Train H...

FIX: Operation must use an updateable query
See this thread: http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=141946 EDIT: ----------------------------- 27th of December 2004 See also this KB article: PRB: Cannot connect to Access database from ASP.NET http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q316675/ If using Windows Server 2003 (IIS 6), note this: http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=209050 -----------------------------Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU When I don't want to mess with permissions, I simply transfer the site on a FAT partition. Otherwise, you'd have to do what the others have suggeste...

Operation must use an updateable query-- Access Error
Hello Guys ,Please could someone tell me how resolve this error . I have tried my best but still the error keep coming up on the shared hosting server. "Operation must use an updateable query"Everything works perfectly fine on my personal computer but the moment I upload it to the shared hosting server then problem starts again. Please provide me information on how to resolve it because my hosting company can't resolve it.CheerscsBinder Let your hosting company know the location of your Access database, and ask that they give the ASPNET user write permissions for that .mdb file.If you like...

Issue Tracker [ACCESS db] -ERROR: Operation must use an updateable query.
I encounter the error above while running the IssueTracker using Access Database version of VB VS =============================== [OleDbException (0x80004005): Operation must use an updateable query.] System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextErrorHandling(Int32 hr) +41 System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextForSingleResult(tagDBPARAMS dbParams, Object& executeResult) +174 System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandText(Object& executeResult) +92 System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior behavior, Object& executeResult)...

Update Error
Does any see what the problem is with this? Dim conn As OleDbConnection conn = New OleDbConnection(MyPath) Dim cmdUpdate As OleDbCommand FirstUpdatePart = String.Format( _ "Update Ads Set Job_LDesc = '{0}' Where KeyArea = '{1}'", Me.txtJob_LDesc.Text, _ pasRecId) cmdUpdate = New OleDbCommand(FirstUpdatePart & ";", conn) cmdUpdate.Connection.Open() cmdUpdate.ExecuteNonQuery() cmdUpdate.Connection.Close()  *All fields look correct, but I get the error 'Operation must use an updatable query.'   ThanksThanks Is it possible that KeyArea is an int field and you are...

update query failing 'Operation Must Use An Updateable Query'
Here is the relavent code section: Dim cnn As OleDbConnection cnn = New OleDbConnection cnn.ConnectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=\aspfiles\doogle1.mdb;User Id=admin;Password=;" cnn.Open() Dim cmd As OleDbCommand cmd = New OleDbCommand cmd.CommandText="INSERT INTO tblMain (Title, ShortDesc, Detail, CreatedOn) VALUES ('testtitle', 'testShortDesc', 'TestDetail', '1/1/2001')" cmd.Connection=cnn cmd.ExecuteNonQuery() cnn.Close() ------------------------------------ I get a Server Error 'Operation Must Use An Updatea...

ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query.
Hello, I am a Newbie to ASP.Net 2.0 I have table named Tests in MS Access, consisting of 2 columns: id (Autonumber, ReplicationID,Primary Key) testcolumn (Text,255) I get following error: ----------------------------------------------- ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.Odbc.OdbcException: ...

Error msg: Operation must use an updateable query, on an ASPnet file w/ Access database.
The codes are shown below.  Instead of coding a btn_click script, this example used a Sub InsertRecord():Sub Page_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)If Page.IsPostBack ThenInsertRecord()End IfEnd Sub On the web page, I typed in an email address, a fname, a lname, and a pwd.Clicking the Submit button showed the above error msg.  Clicking the button should run the InsertRecord().  Am I right?  What's wrong with theInsertRecord()?TIA,JeffreystrClasf = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _"Data Source=" & _Server.MapPath("/App_Dat...

Error: Operation must use an updateable query
I keep getting a "Operation must use an updateable query" error using the following code: Dim Connstr As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Diplomacy.mdb;User ID=Admin" Dim ocmdAboutVBCommand As New OleDbCommand() Dim cn As New Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection(Connstr) Dim insertStr As String Dim insertResult As Integer insertStr = "INSERT INTO Players (PlayerHandle) VALUES ('Testing')" Try cn.Open() With ocmdAboutVBCommand ...

Operation must use an updateable query error
I'm getting this fairly common error. I'm trying to update a database and this is the structure of the webserver. there is a work(the web root) folder which contains a db folder which contains microsoft access databases and a folder with the name of my lastname(perini) which contains my aspx file. db has the following permissions- ASPnet user-create permission, IUSR_machinename-create permission perini has the following permissions- IUSR_machinename-read permission, but doesn't have aspnet user setup there. Thanks, The Update query will work fine in Microsoft Access. It wo...

Operation must use an updateable query: ERROR
Hi i get this error when i call the "AddItem" method.....I dont know what it means by "Operation must use an updateable query" . Can anyone tell me why i am getting this error. I am trying to add values to a database Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Operation must use an updateable query. Source Error: Line 51: Line 52: myConnection.Open() Line 53: myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() Line 54: myConnection.Close() Line 55: Source File: E:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Shopper\ShoppingCartDB.vb Line: 53 This...

Error: Operation Must Use An Updateable Query
I have a strange and rather annoying problem. I have a function to insert data into a database but I keep getting the error: "Operation must use an updateable query". The strange thing about it is that the function works perfectly in Web Matrix, it is only when I'm using visual studio.Net I get the problem. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I can't see why the code wont work. Hi, check this article. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q175168 the most likely problem in your case is Internet Guest account (IUSR_MACHINE), which is...

error: Operation must use an updateable query.
ok im really close to an updatable datagrid, here is the full error message i recieve: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Operation must use an updateable query. at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextErrorHandling(Int32 hr) at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextForSingleResult(tagDBPARAMS dbParams, Object& executeResult) at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandText(Object& executeResult) at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior behavior, Object& executeResult) at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderInternal(Com...

Web resources about - Querying exception error: Must use an updateable query. - asp.net.access-datasource

App Store - SkySafari 3 Plus
Get SkySafari 3 Plus on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

DirectX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Microsoft DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) for handling tasks related to multimedia , especially game programming ...

weaver a pioneer of collaboration business
Enterprise Information Portal Based on e-cology Businesses can use Weaver e-cology to customize enterprise information portal for individual ...

Jawbone BIG JAMBOX Wireless Speaker - Videos
Watch the BIG JAMBOX video and see how versatile this SmartSpeaker is. Bring your music, movies, games and calls to life - anywhere.

Jawbone Jambox review - All About Symbian
Although there are a number of smartphones with capable speakers (Nokia 5800/X6/N8 all come to mind), many have loudspeakers which are rather ...

Touchscreen vs. Keyboard, the Sequel
Last week, I wrote about how touchscreens are forcing the reinvention of keyboards , looking into how touchscreen keypads are easily updateable, ...

Making the lives of IT easier: Windows 8 Refresh, Reset, and Windows To Go
In spite of BUILD's developer focus, Microsoft has shown off a few Windows 8 …

Book as process, book as byproduct, book as conversation
... on the net. So now we arrive back that the book I apologized for not writing in WWGD? — digital, clickable, linkable, correctable, updateable, ...

Cloudfuji - Developer blog index
Log in Cloudfuji Blog Posts Integrate Pivotal Tracker with Cloudfuji with just a Token and URL 10 Jun 2012 How Cloudfuji uses Cloud Foundry to ...

buddabelly at Daily Kos
short diary as there's not much to it...My last windows box died on me and I was given an old iMac G4 1 gig withan 80 gig hard drive and almost ...