App_Data folder .MDB file error: Operation must use an updateable query

 Hi:

My .mdb file (MS Access database) is located in App_Data folder, it works find in my local pc (can write/read...), but once I upload my application to a server, I can grab the data into my webpage, but it will give me an error: "Operation must use an updateable query." if I want to INSERT/UPDATE the database. I know it is permission issue. and I know: "App_Data folder grants Read and Write permissions for the folder to the ASPNET or NETWORK SERVICE user account".

Now, I need this .mdb file can accept my INSERT query when a website user submits some info from my contactus.aspx page. so, the App_Data folder should has some permissions to accept the INSERT/UPDATE query.

 Will be really appreciate how to make that works.

Thanks a lot

JT

0
jamest85

limno
10/28/2008 9:19:26 PM

jamest85:
and I know: "App_Data folder grants Read and Write permissions for the folder to the ASPNET or NETWORK SERVICE user account

Nope.  It's MODIFY permissions that are required.  The account needs to be able to delete the .ldb file it created: Solving the "Operation must use an updateable query" error

Regards Mike
[MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]
My site
0
Mikesdotnetting
10/28/2008 9:46:48 PM

limno:

I wish that sticky was easier to plough through. Two of the links in the first post bounce to the home page of the forums, and the Microsoft article is not that clear....

Regards Mike
[MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]
My site
0
Mikesdotnetting

error updating excel spreadsheet using vb.net
I have written an application to handle invoices.  At the end of the process, they can print the voucher out as an excel spreadsheet.  It has been working and I have moved the application to production. I can't get the spreadsheet to update.  I get this error.  Operation must use an updateable query excel spreadsheet using vb.net  I think it is some sort of permission issue or something to do with the jet engine but I have tried everything I can think of. This generally means that the ASPNet user does not have the correct ("change") permissions to sav...

Error msg: Operation must use an updateable query, on an ASPnet file w/ Access database.
The codes are shown below.  Instead of coding a btn_click script, this example used a Sub InsertRecord():Sub Page_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)If Page.IsPostBack ThenInsertRecord()End IfEnd Sub On the web page, I typed in an email address, a fname, a lname, and a pwd.Clicking the Submit button showed the above error msg.  Clicking the button should run the InsertRecord().  Am I right?  What's wrong with theInsertRecord()?TIA,JeffreystrClasf = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _"Data Source=" & _Server.MapPath("/App_Dat...

Operation must use an updateable query error when using Access db
I am developing an ASP .NET application at work (Windows 2000 Pro, Access 2000) and have been taking a copy of it home to test. When I run the application at home (Windows XP Pro, Access XP) I can log into the app and display DataGrids, which means I can read data in tables. If I try to update data in a table I get a "Operation must use an updateable query" error. As far as I know, the IIS is configured the same on the two machines. The only differences are the operating systems and the version of MS Access. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Regards, Jim Bonacorda Train H...

FIX: Operation must use an updateable query
See this thread: http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=141946 EDIT: ----------------------------- 27th of December 2004 See also this KB article: PRB: Cannot connect to Access database from ASP.NET http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q316675/ If using Windows Server 2003 (IIS 6), note this: http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=209050 -----------------------------Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU When I don't want to mess with permissions, I simply transfer the site on a FAT partition. Otherwise, you'd have to do what the others have suggeste...

Operation must use an updateable query-- Access Error
Hello Guys ,Please could someone tell me how resolve this error . I have tried my best but still the error keep coming up on the shared hosting server. "Operation must use an updateable query"Everything works perfectly fine on my personal computer but the moment I upload it to the shared hosting server then problem starts again. Please provide me information on how to resolve it because my hosting company can't resolve it.CheerscsBinder Let your hosting company know the location of your Access database, and ask that they give the ASPNET user write permissions for that .mdb file.If you like...

Issue Tracker [ACCESS db] -ERROR: Operation must use an updateable query.
I encounter the error above while running the IssueTracker using Access Database version of VB VS =============================== [OleDbException (0x80004005): Operation must use an updateable query.] System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextErrorHandling(Int32 hr) +41 System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextForSingleResult(tagDBPARAMS dbParams, Object& executeResult) +174 System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandText(Object& executeResult) +92 System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior behavior, Object& executeResult)...

Could not use ''; file already in use. or Operation must use an updateable query.
 i developed a web application using ms-access and locally it works all fine i able to insert/update and delete but when i publish the web site to shared hosting company, i started having problemssome times i get error like: Operation must use an updateable query.   System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Operation must use an updateable query   OR the below error   do you know how do i fix this? i'm really concern will i be able to use ms-access mdb in web ?, i will be hitting around 20 to 50 users, i do not have any other choice but to use MDB. Server Error in '...

Update Error
Does any see what the problem is with this? Dim conn As OleDbConnection conn = New OleDbConnection(MyPath) Dim cmdUpdate As OleDbCommand FirstUpdatePart = String.Format( _ "Update Ads Set Job_LDesc = '{0}' Where KeyArea = '{1}'", Me.txtJob_LDesc.Text, _ pasRecId) cmdUpdate = New OleDbCommand(FirstUpdatePart & ";", conn) cmdUpdate.Connection.Open() cmdUpdate.ExecuteNonQuery() cmdUpdate.Connection.Close()  *All fields look correct, but I get the error 'Operation must use an updatable query.'   ThanksThanks Is it possible that KeyArea is an int field and you are...

ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query.
Hello, I am a Newbie to ASP.Net 2.0 I have table named Tests in MS Access, consisting of 2 columns: id (Autonumber, ReplicationID,Primary Key) testcolumn (Text,255) I get following error: ----------------------------------------------- ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.Odbc.OdbcException: ...

Error: Operation must use an updateable query?
We recently installed IIS and set up several student accounts over the network. We are testing the setup by running aspx pages connecting to an Access Database. All SQL "select" statements are properly executed and results are returned, but SQL "insert" and "update" statements return the error "Operation must use an updateable query." Does anyone know the source of the problem or the solution? Thanks This is a well known issue covered in this thread. It is a security issue...Starting with ASP.NET 2.0? Look at:Programming Microsoft Web Forms...

error: Operation must use an updateable query.
ok im really close to an updatable datagrid, here is the full error message i recieve: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Operation must use an updateable query. at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextErrorHandling(Int32 hr) at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextForSingleResult(tagDBPARAMS dbParams, Object& executeResult) at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandText(Object& executeResult) at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior behavior, Object& executeResult) at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderInternal(Com...

Error!! Operation must use an updateable query.
 ı uploaded my website but ı saw this error message!! can you help me, thanks  Operation must use an updateable query. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Operation must use an updateable query.Source Error: Line 10: veriler.Open() Line 11: Dim secim As New OleDbCommand("insert into kutuk (adi,soyadi) values ('" & ad & &q...

Error :Operation must use an updateable query.
 i have a web application.it works correctly, on my local computer.it contains some paths.on local it works with path like: "c:/folder/db.mdb"when i change the path to: server.mappath("db.mdb") , on locate it on web server, it can connect to db.mdbbut when it should insert or update data , the following error ocurs.would u please help me?regards Server Error in '/' Application. Operation must use an updateable query. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and wher...

Error: Operation must use an updateable query
I keep getting a "Operation must use an updateable query" error using the following code: Dim Connstr As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Diplomacy.mdb;User ID=Admin" Dim ocmdAboutVBCommand As New OleDbCommand() Dim cn As New Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection(Connstr) Dim insertStr As String Dim insertResult As Integer insertStr = "INSERT INTO Players (PlayerHandle) VALUES ('Testing')" Try cn.Open() With ocmdAboutVBCommand ...

Web resources about - App_Data folder .MDB file error: Operation must use an updateable query - asp.net.access-datasource

App Store - SkySafari 3 Plus
Get SkySafari 3 Plus on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

DirectX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Microsoft DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) for handling tasks related to multimedia , especially game programming ...

weaver a pioneer of collaboration business
Enterprise Information Portal Based on e-cology Businesses can use Weaver e-cology to customize enterprise information portal for individual ...

Jawbone BIG JAMBOX Wireless Speaker - Videos
Watch the BIG JAMBOX video and see how versatile this SmartSpeaker is. Bring your music, movies, games and calls to life - anywhere.

Jawbone Jambox review - All About Symbian
Although there are a number of smartphones with capable speakers (Nokia 5800/X6/N8 all come to mind), many have loudspeakers which are rather ...

Touchscreen vs. Keyboard, the Sequel
Last week, I wrote about how touchscreens are forcing the reinvention of keyboards , looking into how touchscreen keypads are easily updateable, ...

Making the lives of IT easier: Windows 8 Refresh, Reset, and Windows To Go
In spite of BUILD's developer focus, Microsoft has shown off a few Windows 8 …

Book as process, book as byproduct, book as conversation
... on the net. So now we arrive back that the book I apologized for not writing in WWGD? — digital, clickable, linkable, correctable, updateable, ...

Cloudfuji - Developer blog index
Log in Cloudfuji Blog Posts Integrate Pivotal Tracker with Cloudfuji with just a Token and URL 10 Jun 2012 How Cloudfuji uses Cloud Foundry to ...

buddabelly at Daily Kos
short diary as there's not much to it...My last windows box died on me and I was given an old iMac G4 1 gig withan 80 gig hard drive and almost ...