Can't find EDM wizard (can't add ADO.NET Entity Data Model)

I'm having trouble getting started with EDM.  I'm ultimately trying to experiment with ASP.NET Data Services.  I have never installed any ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions CTPs.  However, I have installed VS2008 SP1 Beta1 and .NET 3.5 SP1 Beta 1.  Based on the list of features in SP1 Beta 1 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8C36ACA4-E947-4760-9B05-93CAC04C6F87&displaylang=en ) I believe I should have both EDM support and Data Services support.

When I try to add a new item to my VS2008 project, ADO.NET Entity Data Model is not in the list.  When I go to the Add Reference dialog, I do have System.Data.Entity and System.Data.Entity.Design.  In addition, I can run edmgen.exe from a VS2008 command prompt.

I tried downloading the ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions Preview from 3/5/08 at this address: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A9C6BC06-B894-4B11-8300-35BD2F8FC908&displaylang=en .  That installation failed with the error "Component ADO.NET Entity Framework 1.0 (Pre-Release Version) has failed to install."

Does anyone have any idea what I might be able to try next?

Thanks,

David Cater

0
xiard
8/5/2008 4:44:17 AM
asp.net.3.5-extensions-preview 378 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Here is a bit more information.  I used edmgen to create csdl, msl and ssdl files. I used a utility I found called edmgen2.exe (at http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/EdmGen2 ) to create an edmx file.  Those files are all in my project now (in VS2008).  The edmx file has the generic "I don't know what to do with this" icon, and opening it simply opens it as a text file, showing the XML of the edmx file.  I was hoping that if I got an edmx file into my project then VS would wake up and give me the option to edit it with the wizard designer.  No such luck.

David Cater

0
xiard
8/5/2008 1:53:48 PM

I did some more searching online and I did find other people with the same problem.  The problem is discussed in the Astoria team blog on the page where they announced VS2008 SP1 Beta1 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Beta1:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astoriateam/archive/2008/05/12/ado-net-data-services-framework-beta-1-is-live.aspx#comments

I also found it on Connect, although it was closed as non-reproducible:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=344080

I ended up following the suggestions in the comments in the blog post about uninstalling and reinstalling VS2008 SP1 Beta1 (but not .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Beta1).  For instructions on how to properly uninstall VS2008 SP1 Beta1, see the readme:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/F/D/8FD2A9F0-C3D4-4B0A-80AF-88D738DCDDF4/VSReadme.htm#Uninstalling

David

0
xiard

Can't get through init 3 from init 5 and can't get through init 5 from init 3.
I tried opensuse 12.1 Gm today. Installation was perfect with xfce 4.8 until I tried installing the nvidia driver. In runlevel 5 as superuser I tried to shift to runlevel 3 and was welcome with a black screen, I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to reboot. During the reboot I used runlevel 3 and I was able to install the nvidia driver. After the nvidia driver installation I tried to shift to runlevel 5 and there, I was welcome with a black screen with a stationary blinking x cursor. I rebooted once again wiith runlevel 5 to get the gui. Any one had seen this happened? This installation is...

Suggestions Please: I can't keep up! Now ADO.NET Entity Data Models?!
As some of you know I am new to learning ASP.NET and have been learning strongly typed ADO.NET for the last 2 months. However, I've been reading more and more that I should start learning and using ADO.NET Entity Data Models instead! Do you guys have any feedback about this? What works for you, and what do you think would work best as far as learning to eventually create large scale applications? Hi, wndrboy2k3:have been learning strongly typed ADO.NET for the last 2 months Which should get you a head start already. Now that you know the basics you can go for either ADO.NET entity ...

Installed .NET Framework version 3.5 SP1 release, but can't find dynamic data template
Hi, See subject. I've installed the redistributable version of 3.5 sp1:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=23516C63-2DB2-4E7F-AABA-32B12D6E025C&displaylang=en quote from the asp.net website: "Dynamic Data is part of the .NET Framework version 3.5 SP1 release. It is available in beta form in the .NET 3.5 SP1 Beta release, which is available today."   Regards,DarnDao Problem solved:http://www.codeplex.com/aspnet/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=14474 ...

Can't add Satellite Server (can't even find option)
Hi there, I have a little Prolem managing a Satellite Server. First of all here's my Environment: I'm using a SLES 10 SP2 as OS with ZCM 10.0.3 installed on it. The server's location is the central DMZ of my Test-Environment of my fictive Company. There are several further Subnets, representing external locations of my fictive Company. In each Subnet there is a Windows XP-Client with the ZCM-Agent installed on it. The devices are listed correctly in the "Devices"-Section. Now I want to make my Windows-Clients a Satellite-Server. In the Admin-Guide t...

They Can't Crack What They Can't Find
They Can't Crack What They Can't Find noeld@rootprompt.org The Internet today is a jungle full of predators. Some of these predators are trying to crack your machine others are just looking for a machine to crack. By using the firewalling tools built into the Linux kernel it is possible to make a desktop machine virtually disappear from the crackers view. In this article I will describe how to hide a machine running Linux that uses PPP over a modem to connect to the Internet. I will use ipchains and the firewalling built into the Linux kernel to protect the services that are ...

Can't Find NDPS Error code anywhere, Can't add printer drivers via iManager
NW 6 SP3 WIN XP SP1 client 4.83 sp1 (and what ever versions of the broker comes with sp3) I go into the broker, into RMS, select the Windows 2k/xp drivers. It does not matter if I choose to Add from File or Add from System, I recieve the same error: [in red] Exception saving resource print drivers configuration NDPS Library Error Category: 1060004h Other Error: FFFFFC62h I can't find that error anywhere on the support areas, nor, will it let me add any print drivers. Yes, I have chosen older .INF files just in case of the new INF problem as discussed in a TID. I&...

Can't add Toolkit dll to Visual Studio toolbox
HiI'm trying to use the Control toolkit in VS 2005 but i'm not having any look. When i try and add the dll to the toolbox I get the error"Cannot load file or assembly Microsoft.Web.Extensions v1.0.61025......"I am using an atlas installation. Is this the problem? I tried installing the ajax beta but it said another version was already installed. I'm worried that if i uninstall my current atlas installation, my other applications based on atlas will not run. I do not have time to upgrade these so I guess i need to know if the ajax beta is bakwards compatible.Thanks a lot...

cpan>install NET::SSH ----> Can't install NET::SSH don't know what it is?
Good day! This is the first time I'll be using the cpan to install modules. I run: perl -MCPAN -e shell and answer the questions one by one. When its done, I issued install NET::SSH at the cpan> prompt and I got the message: Can't install NET::SSH Don't know what it is. Question: How will I make cpan> know what NET::SSH is? Is there something I have to update first? How can I search for some useful modules using cpan> rather than using cpan search in www.cpan.org? What is auto bundle? And what does 'cpan -a' does? When I ran it, I can some...

ListView. NET 3.5. Can't find it in MSDN
Hello,Does anyone knows the page of the new .NET 3.5 ListView control in MSDN?I can't find it.Thanks,Miguel  shapper: Does anyone knows the page of the new .NET 3.5 ListView control in MSDN? I can't find it. Here is the link for you: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb398790(VS.90).aspx Thanks -Mark post(s) as "Answer" that helped youMark post(s) as "Answer" that helped youElectronic ScrewWebsite||Blog||Dub@i.net...

Can't seperate EDM and ADO.NET Data Service?
If I put EDM and ADO.NET Data Service in same web app. I can access the service(test it like: http://localhost:2288/WebService1.svc/)But If put EDM in a seperate project (Class Library), and add reference for this project to web app, then add ADO.NET data service to the web app again, I can't access the servie any more.If I want to keep EDM in a seperate class library project, how to make ADO.NET Data service working?This issue only happened on Windows XP. On windows 2008, no this problem. You should probably ask this question on the ADO.NET Data Services forum.John Saunders | MV...

Web resources about - Can't find EDM wizard (can't add ADO.NET Entity Data Model) - asp.net.3.5-extensions-preview